Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have an 11 week old German shepherd when I adopted him he

I have an 11 week old German shepherd when I adopted him he had kennel cough they gave me meds to give to him and was instructed to stop on the 1st. A little over a day later he had discharge from his eyes, mucus from his nose and hard deep breathing. He doesn't really cough he just kind of hacks or tries to throw up. Two days later(today) he won't eat or drink. I started to hand feed him water so he has something in his system. His eyes have cleared up and his nose is running clear now instead of yellow. He is still taking deep breaths as though his nose is clogged but they arnt as rapid. His he getting better? What could be wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

It's actually very normal for a dog to have green nasal discharge and/or quicker than normal breathing while they're recovering from kennel cough.

You can read more about it here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=600

The good news is that Rocky is already on antibiotics and that the nasal discharge is clear, rather than green at this point. If it were still green, or if there was blood in it, then I'd be very worried about things like distemper or other upper respiratory infections, but clear is good.

It's also completely normal for a dog to do that coughing and looking like they're going to vomit. I suspect that the not wanting to eat is due to the antibioitcs. Most antibiotics tend to cause some digestive upset, so that's not unusual. Something you can do is to try feeding him about 30 minutes before you give him his medication. That tends to help with the nausea related to the medication.

I hope this helps.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I continue the meds, even though it said to stop them? He seems very lethargic. When should i start to worry?
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
For tonight, I'd skip them. Going one more evening shoudln't make much of a difference. But first thing in the morning you should give your vet a call and ask them if they feel you should keep on.

Of course, if he seems so lethargic that he can't be tempted to get up and move around, or if he hasn't drank anything in the last 24 hours, then you should have him seen by an emergency vet tonight. If you're unsure where the emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: XXXXX XXXXX plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the right direction to find the one nearest you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He does get up and follow me around the house but he would rather be laying down and usually is. He drank a little on his own and every hour or so I try to give him water through a medicine dropper. Ill wait till tomorrow and ill hopefully get in to see the vet. I was hoping that his kennel cough didn't turn into pneumonia.
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
As long as you don't hear rattling or wheezing in his chest when he breathes, then it's unlikely to be pneumonia.

Kennel cough is one of those awful infections that sounds so horrible while it's going on.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will have to listen close to his breathing tomorrow and see if I hear anything.
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
I hope he's feeling better soon!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He pneumonia. He is staying at the vets and they are giving him iv fluids. We are hoping by Friday that he can come home.
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Oh gosh. I'm sorry to hear that...but at least he's in the right spot and you caught it early...I'm sure he'll be just fine!

Please do me a favor...even after you rate/accept my answer, please let me know how he's doing!
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Hi Ashley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?

Lisa
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

He is still at the vets. He has made a definite improvement, but they want to get at least one more day of meds into his system.

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
I'm happy to hear he's on the road to recovery!!