Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

my dog ate a had exploratory surgery did not find obstruction

my dog ate a tampon had exploratory surgery did not find obstruction but he is having soft stools that are a orange color
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Due to the fact that Bugsy has recently had surgery, I am concerned about the orange colored feces. This color can indicate a couple things:

*Bile moving through the system so quickly that it comes out intensely colored. This generally happens when there's nothing to sort of hold it back normally. A dog with a completely empty colon/intestinal tract could have orange stool for a few days.

*The possibility of a corona virus infection (more information on that here: http://www.2ndchance.info/coronavirus.htm ). Of course, if your dog is completely vaccinated (which I'm sure it is), then odds of it being Corona is slim...that being said, no vaccine is 100% effective, so it's always possible that poor Bugsy is in that 1%.

*My main concern, however, in a dog like Bugsy that may have eaten something or be on some kind of medication that could cause an impact to that organ is the possibility and probability of this being an indication of liver disease.

The best thing to do for this guy is to have him seen by a vet again. If he is stable tonight, then it's okay to just wait until tomorrow and give them a call..however, if Bugsy is lethargic, anorexic or seems to be having any other unusual symptoms, then the best bet is to have him seen by an emergency vet tonight. (If you're unsure where one is in your area, you can go to: XXXXX XXXXX plug in your zip code. They'll point you to the one nearest you) . They'll run some blood work to ensure that these brightly colored stool aren't a result of liver failure and will get him hooked up to IVs to correct the fluid losses that are likely with the orange stool. They'll also be able to provide medication to help soothe the stomach and help him feel more comfortable.

I wish I were able to give you an over-the-counter cure, but due to his recent trip to the er and the color of his stool, I strongly urge you to have him seen by his vet tomorrow.

I hope he's feeling better soon.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

he has been in er for surgery they went through his intestines said everything is normal they did blood work everything was totally normal

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
His liver isn't in his intestines, so it's not surprising that they didn't notice anything with it when they looked at that. Also...when they cut into him, that's trauma to the digestive tract..which can lead to the orange feces.

I also understand that the blood work was fine before the surgery, but unless they've checked it after surgery, there's still a possibility that something is going on with the liver.

The good/bad part about orange feces is that there's usually only a handful of things it can be...and it's almost always the liver.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Lisa I understand you are a expert but I was hoping to ask a vet not a tech.

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
I'll opt out and see if someone else wants to pick this up.

Please don't reply to me or you'll lock out other experts!

Good luck!!
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 11 months ago.
Hello there! My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear that Bugsy is trying to get himself into trouble. The good news is that he had an exploratory surgery and no obstruction was found. Obstructions can cause a whole bunch of additional problems so since the explore was clean thats great. Its also good news his blood work before hand was not exciting. I have seen some interesting colors of stool after surgery ranging from bright green and yellow all the way to the orange you are describing. I do not get very worked up with this color initially. The intestinal tract is recovering from surgery and is passing through bile from the gall bladder and even some blood from the surgery itself if the intestines or stomach were cut into also. But with the stomach and intestinal tract devoid of food the bile that is secreted and any blood present can change color due to the stomach acids and look quite strange. Also any medications he is on or has received can change colors of the stools quite dramatically. Now Lisa did point out an important point that sometimes with liver disease/failure their stools can be bright orange. But if his visible skin, gums, whites of his eyes are not yellow in color then it is highly unlikely that it is the liver. So with all that said. I would allow him to continue to recover from surgery and as he starts to eat again and pass food and water through his intestinal tracts and stomach then stools should return to normal color and consistency. This can take a few days up to a week to have normal stools after surgery. The most important thing though is that he is not vomiting and that he does not have liquid diarrhea or bloody diarrhea. If he has any of that he should be seen by your vet.

I hope that all made sense. But in review I would not be overly concerned about the color of his stool if he seems to be recovering well otherwise. Check the color of his gums and whites of his eyes, if they are not bright yellow then we can rule out liver issues causing this color change. Allow him to start to eat and drink as he recovers (how your vet recommended) and the stools should return to normal in the very near future. If any vomiting or excessive diarrhea occurs he should be checked out again.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thank you very much you have said the same thing as the surgon but Lias got me worried thank you very much.

You are very welcome. I understand worrying definitely. Dogs are amazing creatures that heal very well. If you need anything else please let me know!
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.