Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog is 3 yr old female listless, not drinking, fever at

My dog is 3 yr old female listless, not drinking, fever at 103.5 rectally, doesn't want to eat. Has been outside most of the day, when my husband came home to call her in she went under the shed and wouldn't come to him. After an hour he was able to coax her into the house. Temp outside today was @88 degrees, she had water and shade available to her and the other dog in the yard, and he doesn't seem to be affected. she is breathing fast at 66 breaths a minute. I'm worried about her?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions to figure out exactly what is going on...

Is Blondie spayed?

If she's not...when was the last time she was in heat?

Is there any possibility that she got into something unusual?

If you feel her gums, do they seem sticky?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Blondie is spayed.

She is in a controlled back yard, so unless something flew in she did not get into something we did not know of. But we do live in the country.

I would say slightly to the sticky gums, but she just ate one half of a dog biscuit my husband gave her around 3 pm. But we have not seen her drink any water. She has gone outside to urinate one time in six hours.

Thanks so much for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, the symptoms you're describing...the tacky gums, not urinating, anorexia and lethargy all point to heat stroke. Even when allowed access to plenty of water and in a shady area, a dog can become overheated.

The unfortunate thing about that is that unlike humans who have the ability to cool themselves off, dogs often present like there's nothing too much to worry about on the day they get overheated, but by the next day, they are in serious trouble...their kidneys can be impacted, and it's not even remotely unusual for an owner to feel like the dog has completely recovered only to find the dog collapsed later.

At this point, she absolutely needs to be evaluated by the emergency vet in your area. If you're unsure of where an emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: XXXXX XXXXX plug in your zip code. They'll tell you where the closest one is to you.

At the emergency vet, they'll get her on some therapy to lower her body temp, get her an IV started so that she can be safely rehydrated, and monitor her kidney values to ensure that she's recovering as safely and comfortably as possible.

I hope she does well.
Hi Tina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Blondie. How is everything going?