Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog is occasionally itching his eye. We have an appointment

My dog is occasionally itching his eye. We have an appointment for tomorrow evening, but today when I picked him up from daycare I noticed the outer corner of his eye area (not his actual eyeball) is swollen. Can we wait until tomorrow evening, or should we go to the emergency vet? He isn't itching it, and when i touched it with a damp cloth he didn't seem like it hurt him at all.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions to narrow down my advice...

How long has this been going on?

What breed is he mostly?

Does he chew on his feet at all?

Is the eyeball red at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He's been itching for 3 days.

He's half lab half australian cattle dog.

He chews his feet maybe once a day, but not often.

His eye is slightly red.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a photo of his eye, if that would be helpful.
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it!

It does sound to me like he's got a little trauma to the area around his eye. The fact that his eyeball is a little red makes me think that he's probably retraumatizing it by rubbing or scratcing at it because it bugs him.

I am happy that the eyeball itself isn't involved.

Because it's not his actual eyeball you could wait until tomorrow's appointment to have him seen. IDeally, if there was a way to keep him from scratching or rubbing at it, that would be wonderful, but of course, you can't watch him 24/7.

If he were my dog...I'd probably wait until tomorrow.

However, you know your boy better than anyone else, so if you feel like he's going to keep bothering it until the appointment, it might be better to have him seen tonight at the emergency vet.

One thing you could try would be to give him a little Benadryl. If it's itching him and bugging him, that will take the itch out, and hopefully make him a little drowsy so he's not feeling like he needs to scratch at it all day.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much. Since he's only rarely bothering it, I'll wait until tomorrow. Thanks again.