Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years

My black lab retriever has this pinkish bump on the tip of

My black lab retriever has this pinkish bump on the tip of her nose, that grew in about a week.
And now it seems to be the same, not deminishing... She is 5 years old, i thought maybe an insect bite... Both my Labs are outdoor, southern Cal. dogs...

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a skin and ear vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

It could definitely be an insect bite that she is irritating. There are other things that can cause this type of lesion. Dogs that "root" to get under a fence or a door can get these. Bacterial infections can also cause swelling. If it has turned pink on the black part of the skin of the nose, it could be an autoimmune disease called discoid lupus. Your vet will need to check it since it has lasted a week. The treatment will depend on the diagnosis and it can range from an antibiotic to high dose steroids.

Hi Karl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf