Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

This puppy is a double merle.Got her when she was dumped.She

This puppy is a double merle.Got her when she was dumped.She cannot see or hear.After she gets fed and burped she is fine.An hour later give or take she starts to regurgitate several times.What do I need to do ? She eats like she is starving .Ive started to not let her eat as much and that appears to help but it does not stop the problem completly.Am I just looking at a huge vet bill .I do have several dogs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. I have a couple questions to help determine what is going on.

What breed of dog is she?

How old is she?

What are you feeding her?

How often do you feed her?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

She is an Australian Sheperd also called a Lethal White (deaf and blind) She is 6 weeks today.started introducing her to moist Nutri Source ays ago.Dry food mixed with water and Pro Bloom.I feed her every 4 to 5 hours.She starts having a fit when she smells the food and she just wants to devour the food.

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
I appreciate your answers...I just have a couple more:

Has the vet taken a peek to make sure there's no cleft palate or other congenital issues?

How much of the food are you giving her?

Does she eat out of a bowl, or is she nursing with a bottle?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

About 4 days ago we slowly started introducing her to the dog food mix.I have had puppies before and they all would eat,poop;play;poop again an sleep.We got her from the vet.When she had not pooped in 2 days she was taken back there.My roommate was t0old that her not pooping was normal being in a new home and all.I am also making her food a litlle harder to eat so she cannot gobble it down.I stop feeding her the first or second time she comes up for air.So I feed her every four to five hours.At night her last feeding out of a raised and held bowl is around11 but no later than midnight. Lucy,my roomate gets her between 5:30- 6:00 .We have noticed that she throws up when she drinks out of the water bowl.

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Does she seem to have any problem swallowing?

How soft is the food you're giving?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It is very soft and no problems in the swallowing department.Im trying to slow her down by thickenning the food a little.Coul you not just call me 928 848 44934

Trina

Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for answering all my questions. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to call customers, but I feel I have enough information now to make a suggestion.

It absolutely sounds like your little one is simply eating too fast for her little body to digest it properly. Add to that the possibility that many double merles I've met seem to have some digestive upset, and I think you've got sort of a sterotypical lethal white pup.

You've been taking the right step trying to thicken her food so she's unable to eat it was quickly as she has been. Another think you could do would be to feed her on something like a cookie sheet (I understand she's deaf/blind, but I suspect her nose works just fine) where you can spread the food out and force her to slow down.

I'd also go back to feeding her more. It's very possible that she's eating so quickly simply because of how hungry she is, so feeding more will help with that. You may also want to stop watering down the food. The longer it takes her to eat it, the better!

Finally...if this doesn't help, then you might want to talk to your vet about getting her started on something like Prilosec or another indigestion medication, just in case we're dealing with a little acid reflux.

I have zero doubt that this tiny thing is in the right home for her now.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Hi Trina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zumz. How is everything going?

Lisa