Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a 9 year old Japanese Chin, female, spayed. Last spring,

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old Japanese Chin, female, spayed. Last spring, she developed symptoms of panting and slowing to a crawl during our walks. Around this time she was getting Dogswell jerky treats. We correlated feeding her the treats with her waking up at night panting for no obvious reason. I called Dogswell regarding the problem, they said everything was safe and sent her a different treat.

Recently it came out that these treats were tainted with sulfaclozine. While Dogswell argues the antibiotic was found in trace amounts, we know from years of dog deaths and illnesses that tainted Chinese chicken treats are anything but safe.

I am now waiting for their vet to talk to my vet, which could be several weeks from now. Meanwhile, Jelly Bean is still sick. I often have to carry her home from our walks because she just won't/can't walk anymore.

My question is this: if Jelly Bean's symptoms are from ingesting the antibiotic, is there anything I can do to help her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am so sorry to hear Jelly Bean has been having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Has blood work been done and if so was everything normal? Did they test the thyroid?

When you say she is still sick can you tell me other then slowing on walks what other symptoms is she having?

Have you noticed any changes in her appetite, any increased drinking and or urination, does she have a pot belly appearance?

Has your vet suggest an exam by a neurologist?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks Candy.

Blood was normal. Thyroid was normal (I'm going to double check this one).

Other symptom is upon lying down, or waking up for no reason, and then panting. She is not a panter so this is particularly unusual.

Appetite is ok. Drinking is ok. Urination seems ok. No pot belly.

No on the neurologist. What might be the answer if that's the right route?

Do you know, btw, what the symptoms of sulfaclozine would be? I myself am allergic to sulfa. I get a full on body rash when I ingest it.

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you .

The first thing I would double check is the thyroid if not tested then I would do a full thyroid panel. I say this because some of the symptoms we can see with low thyroid are exercise intolerance and panting.

I mention the neurologist because it is possible that this panting and being unable to continue the walks is related to pain and often this pain is in the spine. This could be due to disc degeneration, compression of discs causing compression of the nerves, tumors on the spine, arthritis in the spine, Spondylosis etc
Most spinal problems are not able to be seen via x ray and more advanced imaging such as and MRI are needed.

If this is happening more at night then there is a slight chance this could be associated with canine cognitive dysfunction though I am not sure this would explain the walking issue. Link

As for the Jerky treats these normally result in a condition called Fanconi syndrome which causes acute kidney failure. The problem is that the exact cause of the problem with the treats have not been identified which is why they are still on the market.As for the sulfaclozine the most common problems we see are intestinal upset, allergic reaction such as itching and trouble breathing read more about this here

The symptoms that Jelly Bean is showing would not be associated with what we normally see as a result of the treats and I think something else is going on. I would check on the thyroid if this was normal I would then consult with a neurologist. The next option after a neurologist would be an internal medicine specialist.

I hope this helps give you some additional options to discuss with your vet.Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your time and advice. I will ask my vet to follow up in these areas.

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
You are very welcome. Please keep me posted I would love to know if they find the cause and what it was for sure
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Hi Caroline,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jelly Bean. How is everything going?

Candy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks - the same. She slows down on walks but is mostly otherwise ok. I had to carry her twice today. I am thinking about switching vets because mine just dismissed us after ruling out the heart as the problem.

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Oh poor girl. I think it is never wrong to get a second opinion if your vet can not find the problem. I personally think that just saying oh well I do not know is just not acceptable since this is hindering her quality of life.
I would suggest having someone else take a look and see if they can help you figure this out.

I will be here each step of the way if you need me. Please give her a good pet from me and tel her I am sorry she is not feeling well
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

awww thanks. Mostly she's OK except for this issue. She is playing so that's a good sign. Did you see her pic? Sweet girl.

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Thats great. No I did not get a picture but I would love to see her.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
It did not come through.try using the paper clip icon
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

you don't see "Jelly's the smaller one on the right" in that last message I posted? (I did use the link, I think the clip in this system is for images)

trying this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201782249545905&set=pb.1471633961.-2207520000.1378433664.&type=3&theater

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
I can see the link but when I open it is says this content not available most likely because I think our system blocks face book links
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

how's this:

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pictures/slideshow?site=bogartanimals&page=bogartanimals/pictures&album=8&albumPath=

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Yay it worked. Oh my they are both adorable and look like such happy dogs. I hope they find out what is wrong soon it is said thinking she can not run and play like this. Thank you so much for the pictures
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

They're so beautiful, especially when they play. We spent a lot of time with them this weekend. We also happened to have gotten their favorite treats. They were so full of love and happiness that they kept breaking out into play. They play King of the Hill. My bed is the hill. Jelly Bean guards it while Cupcake tries to unseat her from the floor. Last night they got so excited over this that they Jelly Bean jumped off the bed and they ran into another room. It was just so cute. So the good news is that she does have he capacity for this type of behavior. I only see the symptoms when we're actually on a walk. Our walks are usually 7/10th of a mile. Lately we don't even do half of that before she slows down to a stop.

I will let you know how they're doing. I think I have another vet that I'll be calling.

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
They sound so funny and I love love love the names.

Please keep me posted and give them both a good belly rub from me