Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hi my dog arrow has been taken the vet once for his rash and

Hi my dog arrow has been taken the vet once for his rash and given medication that helped a ton but the same red rash is back and seemingly worse. I've changed his food to see if maybe he was allergic to something and I believe that it has made it worse as well. For now I was told that baby's rash cream can be used and that helps a lot. He never bites, licks or scratches at it but it is literally from his chest to behind his testicles. Im really hoping someone can tell me what I can do for him to make it better.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

How long ago was he on medication and how long did he take it?

Is there anyway you can take a picture and send it so I can see exactly what you are seeing. You can use the paper clip icon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He started the oral medication (PreNISOLNE 20mg) on june 16 and that ended on the 22nd, he was also given an ear wash and an ear gel

(Otibiotic Otic Oinment 15grm)

Groin area

Thank you ,

While I can not say for sure without seeing this in person this looks like it may be a bacterial staph infection and if that is the case then oral antibiotic may be needed.
Click here for additional information

It is also possible that this is due to an allergy and in this area it would be more likely related to something in the environment such as grass, laundry soap used on bedding, carpet sprays etc rather then food, however food can not be ruled out without testing.

If this is due to an allergic reaction then oral Benadryl may help. This is dosed at 1mg per pound of body weight every 8-10 hours.

I would wash this area twice daily with antibacterial wound scrub such as chlorhex or betadine diluted with water to the color of tea and rinse well.

If the Benadryl and washing do not clear this up in a few days then I would have your vet re examine him and see if oral antibiotics are needed.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WOuld this be just your normal over the count benadryl or specifically for dogs and where could I find the bacterial wash.

Yes this is just normal over the counter Benadryl for humans and both the chlorhex and or Betadine is available at most pharmacies some grocery stores and places such as Walmart