Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

my rottweiler will not eat but will drink lots of water. also

my rottweiler will not eat but will drink lots of water. also is very lethargic,she is 4yrs old was very playful,constant companion when I'm home. My wife is home with her most of the time,the family loves her and she loves them.Two days ago she stopped eating and just lays around, the first day I took her to the park and she took her time,I rubbed her stomach and when I was finished I told her com on she jumpped up and did a short run and proceeded home with me.Yet so far she has'nt made any stool,but she will urinate,and it seems that her rear legs are suddenly very weak,she can walk but dosen't want to we have hard wood floors,and she use to love sliding on the floor.Now everyone is worried and today she went outside after I coaxed her and she still will not get up if she dosen't have to. I was wondering would constipation do this, also lookes like she has had some sores that have healed in her mouth, yet when I touch her mouth no complaint.When I move her rear legs by hand(push,pull to stretch them) no commplaint either.We took her to the vet a week ago she was on steroids,and antibiotics. She had a bad reaction on the first dose,the next day she was fine. HHHHHHHHHHHeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllpppppp!!!!!!!!!!
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I'd like to ask some questions to get a better idea of what is going on.

Has Charlotte done any vomiting?

What did they put her on antibiotics/steroids for?

Does she get bones, rawhides or people food?

Is her belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Is Charlotte spayed?

If you know when her last heat cycle was?

Does Charlotte now...or has she ever....had tick exposure?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no vomiting, not spayed,stomach soft,no exposure to ticks,so people food as i know of I'm at work for 10hrs a day last heat cycle unknown no rawhide bones she had two bbq bones last week no sause on them she was on steroids for hot spots and antibiotics because of eye infection she had a bad reaction her face swole up for ten hours.
Have you noticed if she has had any discharge from her vulva?

Does she have an odd smell to her?

Is she still urinating normally?

Does she feel hotter to the touch than usual?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no discharge no fever urinating normally breath smell kind of bad like morning dog breath

THanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

To answer your initial question about whether this could be constipation...I'm prone to believe there's something more going on here. With constipation, the dog may not want to (or be able to) defecate and may stop eating, but the lethargy you're describing isn't common with constipation.

Because she's been ill for a little while, I do think that having your vet take another look at her when they open tomorrow. If they haven't already, they should do some blood work and/or shoot an xray. Because she's an unspayed female, they should also use that x-ray to look for signs of a serious uterine infection called a pyometra.

The little bit of good news is that she's still drinking. Dogs can literally go weeks without eating, but they can't go longer than 3 days without irreversable damage being caused.

I suspect when they do the blood work they're going to find something out of whack..possibly her kidneys since she's drinking, but that's what I'd start with.