Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Maggots around

Maggots around butt
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions:

Is there a wound or cut on Chief around his butt you can see?

Does he have long hair?

Any idea how long they've been there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just raw

long hair 2-3 in.

1-2 days

Thanks for the additional information.

The maggots are there because of the raw area. They're attracted to dead or dying flesh, and that's what Chief will have if it's not taken care of.

I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html , http://www.theamericandogmag.com/non-profit/resources-veterinary-bills-financial-assistance, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer , you can see if there is one in your area.

If none of those work for you, then this is what you're going to need to do:

1. Shave all the hair in that area. You can use a clipper like you'd use on a beard or to shave a head. Please do NOT use a scissors...that's a good way to cut the skin, using a clipper is best.

2. Once the area is shaved, you're going to need to wash that area 2-3 times a day with gentle soap and warm water. I like using baby shampoo for this kind of thing because it doesn't sting.

3. Once the area is washed and rinsed, you're going to use a soft towel to pat the area dry. DO NOT RUB...that will be painful and damage the skin more.

4. When the area is dry, you can use a topical antibiotic such as Neosporin or whatever triple antibiotic you can find at Walmart or most other stores. Use a big enough drop to completely cover the area, but not so much that it's clumpy.

Do the washing/antibitoic 2-3 times a day. If the area isn't better within a few days, then you're absolutely going to need to have him seen by a vet, but the best way to treat that wound and get rid of the maggots is to shave and clean the area.

I hope this helps.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chief. How is everything going?

Lisa