Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Hi Doctor, My 100 pound Bernese Mt Dog was just licking at

Hi Doctor, My 100 pound Bernese Mt Dog was just licking at a drip spot of Minwax stain. I had wiped it a half hour previous and assumed it was dry. I went to put tools away and found him licking the stain on the concrete. Do I Worry or not worry? Thank you!
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like a real life consult, I have a couple questions...just to be safe....

It was a single drop of the Stain?

Was it the petrolleum based stain?

How long ago did Jax lick it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. It was a blob of about five drops. I had wiped it off the concrete for the most part. It was a half hour before he ever got to it because dogs were locked inside while I did staining. It has been about 45 minutes and he shows no symptoms.
Perfect. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it!!

While I was waiting for your reply, I went here: and looked at the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the stains (I actually ended up looking at all of them) to see what kind of trouble we're in.

The short story is that ingestion of this product can cause some pretty serious problems that range from digestive upset all the way to kidney or liver damage.

But the good news is that the very tiny amount your dog licked is very, very unlikely to cause those problems. Normally with this kind of ingestion we will see at least some preliminary symptoms within an hour or so and since we're already there with your dog and he's still symptom free, I feel confident that there won't be an issue.

Of course...just to be safe you should keep an eye on him for the next day or so and if you notice anything like lethargy, anorexia, increased drinking, problems with coordination or vomitng/diarrhea, then you should have your vet take a peek, just to be safe, but I think he'll be symptom free becuase he's such a big guy and it was such a small amount.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thanks for info. Sorry, I had to fetch my elderly mother for holiday dinner in the midst of the dog chaos. I appreciate your researching this for us. He is acting totally normal, except that the dope wants to go out and lick the table on the back porch where it is drying. Hope to get a coat of gloss on it tonight to keep it from enticing him. Will be sure he isn't left alone with it for sure. all best,

You're very welcome Carol!!!

Give the big trouble maker a scratch under the chin for me!