Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

the first time I gave him the dry dog food he acted like he

the first time I gave him the dry dog food he acted like he liked it but now he walks around it like its going to attack him should I try wet dog food instead of dry food I buy him the best I can find
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 7 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having some trouble getting Bently to eat dog food. I have had Shih-Tzu's for 20 years and this is not at all uncommon.
I just have a few questions

Are you feeding dry only now?

What brand?

Are you feeding from a bowl or plate?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

the dry food is chicken whole brown rice &oatmeal formula a plate I am trying to train him from baked chicken to eat dog food he always liked the baked chicken that is why I stick with chicken flaver

Expert:  Candy replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I am glad to hear you are feeding from a plate as a bowl is often a problem for these little ones due to the flat face. Some of them also do not do well with dry due to the small teeth they can have a hard time chewing. I see you are mixing with chicken broth so that is good to soften.

One brand of food we have found that works great for small picky dogs is a brand called Merrick in can formula. This is human grade food made for dogs and really mimics what you would give from your plate. Here is a link to this food. Link

Another brand that works very well is the new Pet Fresh select. This is in the refrigerated section at pets stores. Walmart also carries this is the pet section in a refrigerator. Link

I would try one of these and I really think he will be happy to eat dog food. I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer