Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog is coughing a lot. Frequent occurrences and lasting

My dog is coughing a lot. Frequent occurrences and lasting a few minutes. Dry, persistent, not wheezing, at end does sound like he's brought up sputum and then swallowed it.
I'd really like to put him on a cough suppressant, just to give him some rest. Any suggestions.?
We know that he is having issues with the flap that protects the trachea. He's on Thick-It and I have increased the thickness of his water to "pudding" to decrease aspiration.
Just in case, I've started him on Prilosec (but don't really think it's reflux). I've also just started him on Zyrtec. Both per my vet.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Hobo is having some trouble.

Can you tell me when he was seen last by the vet and did he do an assessment on the heart to be sure this is not heart related.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8/8/2013 FOR COUGH. NOT HEART, SOME TRACHEAL THICKENING WHY I WENT TO SPECIALIST IN MAY. I PLAN ON TAKING HIM TO THE VET TOMORROW (HOLIDAY WKEND). I'M JUST TRYING TO GET HIM SOME RELIEF SHORT-TERM ROBITUSSIN, BUT IT HAS GUIAFENISEN IN IT AS WELL AS THE DEXTROMETHORAFAN HBR. IS THIS OKAY TO GIVE

OK thank you I just wanted to be sure.

Yes Robitussin is fine the DM formula only . It is actually recommended to use Guaifenesin and/or Dextromethorphan based cough suppressants This is dosed at 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 4-6 hours.
Click here for more on the use of this medication Link

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to help.
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SORRY, JUST TO CLARIFY: I HAVE THE ROBITUSSIN DM MAX, IS THIS STILL OKAY

The DM Max would be 1/2 teaspoon per 20lbs rather then the 1 teaspoon per 20 but yes it is fine just a smaller dose
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THANKS

You are very welcome. Give him a good pet from me