Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Two amputee dogs will be joining my happy, well adjusted pack

Two amputee dogs will be joining my happy, well adjusted pack of seven in the next two months. They have been described as "sweet" dogs and have survived in large groups in the shelter for as long as a year.

Would you expect any special problems socializing these amputees especially compared to the experiences with the others added of the years?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
.

My name is Jane. I have worked with animals professionally for over 17 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. .

.

Anytime you introduce a new dogs into an established pack, you stand the chance of having altercations occur. In this case, if the two amputees are already used to each other, I would introduce them to the alpha dog in your household in a neutral area away from your house. This will allow your alpha dog to check them out and determine that they are not a threat and start accepting them. After that, you might add another dog from your household. It would be best if you could give them a few meetings before bringing the new dogs home. This will make it much easier when all the other dogs are around.

.

In a group of dogs, they generally will follow the behavior of the dog that is in control. If the top dog accepts them into the house with no problems, the rest of the dogs are likely to do the same time. After a couple of weeks you may have some minor infighting, but the alpha dog will likely stop these pretty quickly.

.

As long as the amputees are very mobile and don't have any other health problems, introducing them to your pack should be pretty much the same as introducing any new dog.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the answer. What you suggest is exactly what I've done as each existing pack member was added and there have been no serious problems. I gather you expect no problems with the pack responding to a "weaker" or "wounded" animal ?

Unfortunately, I won't have the opportunity to have other meetings for the dogs because the new guys are coming from Europe to Canada. However, my canine pack leader is firm but very low key, and if the description I have received of the new dogs as "submissive" is true, then I expect few problems.

Would you expect problems arising from the current pack members responding to the new dogs' prostheses?

JaCustomer,.That is why I mentioned "if they are very mobile" because if they are, then they will not be perceived as being weaker or wounded. Most 3 legged animals I know are very mobile and seldom have problems in a well adjusted pack when introduced properly. That is why I don't expect much problems. If they are newly amputees, then you might experience some issue, but from your posts, it sounded like they have been amputees for a year or more.
Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist