Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

my 2 year old miniature poodle is lethargic and shivering .he

my 2 year old miniature poodle is lethargic and shivering .he is bright eyed and his gums are pink.fed him some rib bones last night and I am afraid they might be the cause.anything I could do or look for?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 months ago.

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

I am sorry to hear Trey is not feeling well.

Dr. G :

Has this ever happened in the past? Any vomiting or diarrhea yet?

Customer:

no.none I have noticed.he is just not wanting to do anything including eating his bacon treats.shivers for a while and then stops.it is really hot outside here and I have kept him inside in the air cond.he has 2 sisters and they are fine.just lethargy and shivering at this point with no appetite for food or cold water.

Dr. G :

I see. This is most likely due to rib bones

Dr. G :

they are one of the most common reasons I see dogs get an upset stomach

Dr. G :

This can progress in one of two ways: Trey may improve after a couple days once the body breaks them down

Dr. G :

or he may start vomiting profusely in which case he is going to need medication from the vet to help with vomiting and to calm the stomach

Customer:

just the bones upset his stomach you think?it was no meat just the bones.his sisters had some bones too but they are ok.will cooked pork in general make my poodles sick?thank you!

Dr. G :

The modern dog is not really equipped to handle bones very well. Some of them will have quite the upset stomach, while others will not. The bones will typically dissolve within a day or so in the stomach. He is just going to be a bit nauseous for today. For the most part, any bones or pieces of meat with fat on them can cause an upset stomach. I usually tell people to feed treats like carrots, green beans, or plain boiled chicken breast, as most dogs handle that a little bit better

Dr. G :

For now, hold him off food until tonight, then offer a small amount of plain boiled rice mixed with plain boiled chicken breast or rinsed boiled ground beef

Dr. G :

You can give a single dose of pepto bismol (1 teaspoon) to help, but do not give any acid reducers as they will slow down the digestion of the bones

Customer:

will a baked sweet potatoe be all right for him I have some of those and carrots.just wanted to be sure he will not get any life threatening things for eating the wrong food.i thought I was giving them a treat by giving the pork rib bones.they sure love chewing them.

Dr. G :

You can give baked sweet potato. I would just avoid bones in the future. Many times it gets worse than what you are seeing at home

Customer:

is trying to hide and curl up alone a bad sign??he never does that

Dr. G :

He is likely doing that because his belly hurts. Dogs will often do that when they do not feel well.

Dr. G :

If he really seems like he is very uncomfortable, you may need to take a trip to the vet today. If your vet is closed, there are often emergency hospitals closeby in most populated areas. Another option would be a Banfield Pet Hospital. This is a chain of veterinary hospitals that are nationwide and open on sundays. They will be cheaper than the ER vet. http://www.banfield.com/ is their website

Customer:

okay will see how he does and if he does not get better a little bit than I will take him.

Dr. G :

I think that is a good plan.

Dr. G :

I wish you the best with Trey. Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great Labor Day weekend!

Customer:

thanks for your help.i will ask for you if needed!tommy

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Tommy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Trey. How is everything going?

Dr. G