Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

hello.. my year and a half old yorkipoo started twitching about

hello.. my year and a half old yorkipoo started twitching about 2 days ago... first it was her front left leg, then her leg and eye on that same side, now both legs and her eye... she doesn't want to run, and goes up and down the stairs slower than usual, like she's confused or the place is unfamiliar to her (it isn't at all)... she sometimes falls to the side or back and quickly gets up... the twitching won't even stop when she's sleeping and it seems as if she can't ever get comfortable enough to actually sleep anyways... what could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Sweet is not feeling well. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Is she able to eat and drink? If so when did she eat last?

When is the next test scheduled for?

Did your vet send her home on any medications?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
she ate last about 3 hours ago... she's not a big eater but has been eating and drinking normally, nothing has really changed there...she's also going to the bathroom normally... her next test is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 9 am...and no she wasn't given any medication... however, the vet did say that it would be a good idea to give sweet a small dose of some kind of anti seizure medication (not sure what is called) and see how she reacts to it... I'm just worried that her "twitchiness" seems to be progressing and affecting more parts of her body as time goes by...
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Thank you . Please give me just a few minutes to type up your answer
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
With the twitching, acting confused and the elevated liver enzymes I suspect the test your vet wants to do is a bile acid test to look for a liver shunt. A Liver shunt happens because the blood vessel that by passes the liver when in utero do not close off properly so the blood is not properly being filtered by the liver allowing toxins to build. This is very common in yorkies and small poodles.
Due to the toxins in the blood this can cause twitching, seizures, disorientation, head pressing etc. This can get worse as time goes on and the symptoms will often increase shortly( 1-3 hours) after eating as the toxins that develop during the food breakdown process are allowed to reach the brain because they are not being filtered through the liver.
The link below will go in to more detail on liver shunts
LINK

If the twitching continues to get worse tonight or she has anything that resembles a full seizure then it would be best to get her in to the ER tonight. If she can settle and sleep I would just try to keep her comfortable and quiet until you can get her in for testing in the morning.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer