Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

my dog had diarrhea for 3 days. We started giving him boiled

my dog had diarrhea for 3 days. We started giving him boiled chicken and white rice for a week now and he has only had 1 soft bowel movement all week. He is drinking and behaving normally. When should we take him to the vet?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How much rice/chicken is he getting a day?

He's only had one bowel movment in the last several days?

Has he been doing any vomiting?

Is his belly hard to the touch or soft?

Other than the diarrhea, how is he acting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He gets it twice a day, no vomiting, belly is soft. He is acting fine, drinking well and urinating. We take him out at least 3-4 times a day.
Thanks for the additional information!!

At this point, I suspect the small stool you've seen is simply due to the fact he has a really empty digestive system. Rice tends to break down pretty completely, and the chicken wouldn't make much feces. Dogs who have had diarrhea commonly don't have normal stool for several days after the diarrhea stops.

I think you can now start mixing in his regular kibble over the next few days and see if the diarrhea starts again. If it doesn't, then you're good to go. If you notice that he does start with more diarrhea, then back him off the kibble again and have him seen by his vet, just to be safe.

However, I strongly suspect that this was just run-of-the-mill diarrhea. The fact he's acting normal and the diarrhea has resolved makes me think that he'll be just fine.

I hope this helps.