Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my giant schnauzer puppy, 17 weeks on Sunday, has a football

my giant schnauzer puppy, 17 weeks on Sunday, has a football shaped mass on his back. its about an inch and a half long and an inch wide. its on top of his shoulder and you can move it around. it doesnt seem to bother him. any ideas?
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is Jane. I have worked with animals professionally for over 17 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. .

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

When was your dog's last vaccination?

Was the vaccination given in the shoulder area?

Have you noticed any ticks on him?

Is he around other dogs or puppies?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its been a few weeks and it was in the back of the neck. no ticks that ive seen. yes he played with my moms dog today for a few hours. could it be from a play bite? he doesnt care if i touch it or move it around.

Thanks for the additional information. In many cases, vaccines are given in the shoulder area or the rump area. It used to be between the shoulder blades but many vets have started varying the position. When a vaccination is given it is not that unusual for a lump to form at the injection site 2-3 weeks later. It usually goes away after a couple of weeks but in some cases, it does not go away and in those cases, it has to be checked over by your vet. Read about this below. The article mainly talks about cats but if you read it, you can see where it says it occurs in dogs and cats. :

I do suspect it is a normal reaction to the vaccination. However, there could be other causes. It is not unusual for a lump to occur after a tick feeds and drops off. This should also resolve itself over the course of a couple of weeks as well. However, if your dog develops lameness that switches legs, then have him checked for lyme disease. This can occur months after a tick bite.

Another possibility would be a puncture or injury that developed into an abscess. This would cause swelling under the skin. Initially it might not be that painful but as the bacteria multiplies under the skin and the swelling increases, it will become painful. Frequently these injuries will occur when dogs are play fighting or even a cat swipe. In that area, I would suspect a puncture from being pinned or play fighting that might have gotten out of hand.

You could have your vet take a look at it, since it could be other things like a lipoma, but at this age, I'd be inclined to see if it doesn't resolve itself in the next couple of weeks. Of course, if it becomes larger and painful, have your pup seen as soon as possible. .

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.