Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

Hi I have a 7 year old border collie/aussie mix with a raised

Hi I have a 7 year old border collie/aussie mix with a raised area on his gum right next to his lower left incisor and have been thinking about having his teeth professionally cleaned.I am wanting to know if this would be a safe procedure for him,and am looking for any advise that you feel would be helpful.Thanks

Pet Doc :

Hi there

Pet Doc :

Thanks for your question regarding your 7 year old Border Collie boy who has a raised area of gum next to his lower left incisor

Pet Doc :

If he is 7 and hasn't yet had a Veterinary descale and polish, then yes - I would definitley recommend that he has this done

Pet Doc :

It is quite likely that he has inflammed gums by most of his teeth, particularly the back molars given his age and the fact he hasn't yet had any dental cleaning

Pet Doc :

This inflammed/raised gum you are seeing is likely gingivitis.

Pet Doc :

Gingivitis is a fancy way of saying 'inflammed gum'

Pet Doc :

The gum is likely inflammed due to plaque and tartar getting undertneah the gumline

Pet Doc :

If left without any Veterinary intervention or dental cleaning, periodontal disease will develop in which the teeth can become loose and he could potentially have to have one or two extracted!

Pet Doc :

Dental procedures are common in canine and feilne veterinary practice and this will give your boy a nice fresh start once it is done

Pet Doc :

The best way to go about this is to have a full dental descale and polish under a full general anesthetic.

Pet Doc :

While a couple of clinics, including mobile clinics offer conscious teeth cleaning - this is ineffective, unsafe and would be stressful for your boy

Pet Doc :

So - for your boy, I would recommend: full pre anesthetic bloods to check his liver and kidney function and to ensure he is all ok for a full anesthetic.

Pet Doc :

If this is fine, then your Vets can place IV fluids and give your boy a full anesthetic.

Pet Doc :

A full dental exam can then be carried out with your boy asleep and if needed, dental xrays to check the jaw and roots of his teeth to ensure he doesn't need any extra work done other than a routine descale and polish

Pet Doc :

The descale and polish can then be done and your boy woken up! The whole procedure would typically take less than half an hour

Pet Doc :

Once he has had the clean up, then ongoing cleaning is the best if he will let you do this

Pet Doc :

There are doggy toothbrushes and toothpastes available for this.

Pet Doc :

If he won't let you clean them, then dental biscuits are a good way to help minimize plaque and tartar build up

Pet Doc :

While your boy is asleep, your Vet will also carefully check the oral cavity and in particular the raised area of gum.

Pet Doc :

If this isn't found to be gingivitis, then your Vet can take a biopsy to ensure it isn't anything nasty.

Pet Doc :

I hope all of the above makes sense?

Pet Doc :

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for yo.

Pet Doc :

Kind Regards,

Pet Doc :

Dr Edwards

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc