Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

Along the same line... I just gave enalapril (5mg) to the wrong

Along the same line... I just gave enalapril (5mg) to the wrong dog! A16 pound shih tzu instead of my 20 pound cocker. The cocker has been taking it several months, and just yesterday the shih tzu began 5mg prednisolone for a few days for a dermatitis condition. I just got them backward though the shih tzu is the only one who got the one dose of the wrong med. I went back to check the other against the bottle and sure enough gave her the heart med! She was eating her dinner as I was looking for answers on the web and found this site.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Shih Tzu Isabel who got given a 5mg Enalapril instead of your 20 pound Cocker. The typical dose for this drug for heart disease is 0.25mg - 1mg per kg. Your Shih Tzu is around 7kg, so she got a dose of around 0.71mg/kg which is well within the normal dose range. Your girl should be absolutely fine with a one off dose with this drug. If she had normal to low normal blood pressure, then the drug could potentially cause her to have low blood pressure - but this is unlikely. If she seems very lethargic or tired in the next few hours, then play it safe and get her checked over by your local Vet. This is quite unlikely to occur and she should be absolutely fine however.

I hope the above makes sense?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards