Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My 11 year old Boston Terrier mix has enlarged lymph nodes

My 11 year old Boston Terrier mix has enlarged lymph nodes in multiple places the largest being in her neck. I went to the vet this morning and he said that he thinks it is lymphoma but that it could be just an infection and to try predisone and clavamax and to come back in two weeks for him to check her again. My question is how likely is it to actually be lymphoma? She has not had a decrease in energy and has not backed away from any chance at food. :) Her coat is still shiny and healthy looking but she has been for the last 3 or 4 weeks began incessantly licking her front paws. (which concerns me) Can you please help and try and relieve my mind of what to expect and how likely it is to actually be lymphoma and not just an infection?

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If there are multiple places where the Lymph nodes are enlarged such as the Mandibular nodes by Tiny's jaw and the Popliteal nodes by her rear legs, then this is most likely Lymphoma. If this were due to an infection , only one or 2 nodes would be affected in a certain area.

The treatment is appropriate because not only is your vet using a good antibiotic but also using Prednisone, which is a good chemotherapeutic medication used for Lymphoma.

I would have liked to see your vet do a fine needle aspirate of one or 2 of these nodes since , if this is :Lymphoma, the quicker it is treated, the more time Tiny would have with you possibly.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Stefany for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Tiny's condition. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I have my fingers crossed that this is merely an infection, Stefany....