Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My little chihuahua keeps waking me up around 2:00am by pawing

Customer Question

My little chihuahua keeps waking me up around 2:00am by pawing and licking my face....once I wake up he quickly goes to his "spot" and lays down and will go back to sleep if I turn on my side towards him and pet him. My other two sleep right thru night...this started about two weeks ago and I just don't understand why it happens every night...any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Have you noticed anything else such as not eating well or having trouble getting up in the morning?

Does Puddy act stiff when he gets up?

Could something have frightened him?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No....no stiffness...he bounces around like a little puppy....always wanting to play with my other two...who give him the cold shoulder for the most part...first to bark when he hears the delivery man come or someone at my door....he's a very sweet little guy who loves giving kisses...licks....but always insists licks on the lips and will use his paw to turn your head towards him so he can get a lick or two in on the lips....but he's now waking me up in the middle of the night for what appears to be attention...a couple of times one of my other little girls was in his "spot" so I thought maybe that was why but lately his spot has been wide open...and he acts happy that I woke up to give him some attention....yikes...don't want to break his cute little spirit of being so happy so I try not to get upset with him but I need my sleep as I tend to stay awake for an hour or so after he wakes me as he snores away!

Thanks Christy for that information....Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I was called out suddenly...

I believe that Puddy has learned that you will wake up by this pawing and get extra attention. You need to stop giving in to Puddy's need for attention by ignoring him...this may take a few times for him to get the idea but you have now set a precedent, Christy and he will continue until he does not get the correct reaction that he is looking for.

I do not believe that Puddy has any medical condition that is causing this...he wants the extra attention..

The one thing that may help Puddy past this is to purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store for him that will be worn for a month. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will help Puddy be more relaxed as you are trying to retrain him to sleep through the night.

Does that make sense to you, Christy?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Christy for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Puddy's habit of waking you. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 12 months ago.
Hi Christy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Puddy. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta