Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 7 year old basset looks like her eyelid has turned; her

My 7 year old basset looks like her eyelid has turned; her left eye is not visible; all that is visible is the red (maybe lower?) lid
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like a real life consult, I have a couple questions:

Does it look like this:

Is she acting like it's painful?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It looks pretty much like that, maybe a little less of the eye color showing and she doesn't seem to be in pain at all.

Thanks so much for the additional information Jo. I really appreciate it!!!

Since your dog looks like that, then that means that there's inflamation of the nicatating membrane...otherwise known as the 3rd eyelid. This is a mambrane that can become swollen due to allergic reaction, trauma or other illness.

Since this came up so suddenly, I'm tempted to believe that it's an allergic reaction to something, so if you wanted to try a little Benadryl (the dose is 1-2mg/pound so if she weighs 50 pounds, then she could have between 2-4 of the regular 25mg tablets once every 8 hours) then that would be okay.

However, if you don't notice an improvement in that eyelid within a few hours, even a very slight improvement, then you should give your vet a call and have them take a peek at her before the long Labor Day weekend kicks in and you're stuck going to an emergency vet.

I hope this helps.
Hi Jo...just checking in on how our girl's eyelid is doing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for checking in; Gretchen is doing great (I've still given her two Benadryl a day the last two days as a precaution). Her eye was totally and completely normal by the next afternoon. Thank you so much for helping, and for being wonderful!!!!

(Also, they had a thing for me to tip additional, which I did :) )

I felt so much better after talking (okay, typing) with you, and then when I checked on her at lunch, it had started to noticeably improve. That was just amazing.

We had lost a previous basset to cancer, so admittedly, my mind goes to the WORST possible place...thank you again, for everything that you do!!!!

You're absolutely welcome JO!!