Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have a small dog (16 lbs) and I was taking him for a walk.

I have a small dog (16 lbs) and I was taking him for a walk. He started limping, so I checked his paws and both his back outer toes are red and swollen. Noticed also a bit of pus. I soaked his paws in Epson salt. He has a bit of hard time moving around. What else should I do? Mercedes...
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

It's hard to say what is causing that swelling on Chiko's toes, but it's possible he's got some kind of skin infection going on.

If this were my dog, I'd wash his feet several times a day with warm water and a mild soap (I actually use baby shampoo because it doesn't sting). Then once the feet are dried completely, you can apply a small amount of a topical antibiotic such as Neosporin. Only use a small amount and try to distract him from licking it for at least 5 minutes after you apply it. Although Neosporin isn't considered toxic, he could get some serious diarrhea from it if he licks enough.

If you don't see an improvement by Monday, then you should absolutely have him seen by his regular vet just in case he needs some oral antibiotics.

Also, if he should get to a point this weekend where he can't or won't put any pressure on those toes, or if he develops any other symptoms, then you should have him seen by an emergency vet. If you're not sure where an emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: XXXXX XXXXX plug n your zip code. They'll tell you where the nearest one to you is.

Hopefully this will end up being just a little skin infection, and that the washing/neosporin will get it looking and feeling better before Monday.

I hope this helps.