Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

We have a two week old litter of Cockapoos. All appear healthy,

We have a two week old litter of Cockapoos. All appear healthy, gaining weight, eyes opening yesterday and today, etc. All good, except that on one male, we noticed yesterday that there is a patch of fur covering approximately 1/4 of his back beginning just above the tail that has suddenly gotten thick like armor and feels as though it is beginning to peel. Imagine if you poured melted wax onto his fur, let it harden, and then it started to break into sections. He does not appear to be in any discomfort, even when we try to run our fingers through that section of his hair, which is almost impossible to do. He has not actually lost any of his fur yet, but the skin has definitely thickened and is beginning to peel, presumably because he is growing and it is too thick/hard to stretch. Going to the vet tomorrow, but wondering whether we need to isolate him from the others until then. As I said, he continues to eat and seems perfectly fine otherwise.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Since your pups are part cocker, I can't help but wonder if this little guy might have some seborrhea going on. This is actually a common in cockers (you can read about it here: ).

This is essentially a condition where the dog's skin forms scales at the base of the hair. If left untreated, it can form the type of feeling you're feeling on the puppy.

The good news is that this is not contagious, so you don't need to separate him from the other pups. Additionally, if this had been something contagious (and of course without being able to see him it's impossible to know for sure that it's not...but I'm pretty confident it isn't), then there'd still be no reason to separate them...they would all have already contracted something contagious because they're together all the time.

I'm hopeful that your vet will decide it's nothing too serious.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lisa. I read the link and it does sound quite a bit like oily seborrhea. We've had Cockers and Cockapoos for 30 years and that's the first I heard of it. Thanks very much for your quick and comforting reply.