Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Dog doesnt want to move, even to go outside. Has been spending

Dog doesn't want to move, even to go outside. Has been spending all her time in the bathroom which is odd because she never goes in there. Has bumps on the back of her head like she hit it really hard.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

How long has this been going on?

How old is she and what breed?

Do her eyes look normal?

What color are her gums?

Is she able to move if you stand her up?

Do you know if she was injured for sure?

Any open wounds that you can see or just lumps?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Her behavior has changed noticeably in the last 24 hours. She is 4 yrs old and a hound mix. Her eyes are normal. She can and will walk on her own but is very reluctant to. No visible wounds although she appears to be preoccupied with her back right leg. She is applying weight to all 4 legs when she walks and isn't limping. Gums are pinkish right around her teeth, black elsewhere but I think that's normal.

The bumps are not on the surface, appear to be under the skin.

I keep a pretty tight watch and I cannot think of anything that injured her. She did receive her vaccinations 2 weeks ago. A vet exam was performed at that time.
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Just a few more questions when you say she is preoccupied with her back leg exactly what is she doing?

What was she doing right before this behavior started?

Can you tell if she is having any trouble moving her neck?

Do you notice any changes in her face such as drooping of the lips or eyes?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She's been licking it a little. I looked at it and could find nothing of concern. She pulled away slightly when I grabbed it but as I applied pressure she didn't seem bothered. She's suffered from demodex in the past so paw licking is not uncommon for her. I did notice when she does get up to walk, she'll jerk her head back to that leg really quick, almost as if something bit her.

Her face doesn't look any different. Her behavior is what's most troublesome. Her movement seems to be fine. She's very reluctant to leave the bathroom but when she does, her movements seem ordinary.
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

In medium to large breed dogs one common problem we see is a injury to the cruciate ligament in the knee and that can make them unwilling to get up and move around. This can happen so suddenly that often the owners do not notice. Click here for more on this
Some dogs when painful will tend to hide.

I asked about the neck and face because you mentioned vaccines and some dogs can have an immune system reaction due to vaccines and or coming in contact with areas that raccoons have been called coon hound paralysis and this can cause problem in the nerves of the legs and neck as well as the face, and can cause odd behavior as it effects the neurological system. This however will often cause a change in their bark and I apologize I did not ask about that. You can read more about this here

I can not say that the bumps are not from hitting her head but if she had some form of head trauma I would expect to see changes in the eyes or mental alertness both of which seem to be ok.

I would try to take a rectal temp just to be sure this is normal. Normal is 100.5-102.5 anything over 103.5 or under 100 requires immediate care.

As long as he temp is normal and the guns and tongue are not pale and she can move then I would watch her for the next 24 hours and see if she improves. If her bark changes, she becomes unable to walk or declines in any way then I would get her in to the vet to be checked. If she continues to favor that hind leg then I would be most suspicious of an injury to the knee.

I wish I could tell you for sure what was going on but she is not giving us any clear signs in one direction or the other.

Please keep me posted on how she is doing. I would try to keep her still for now and do not force her to get up other then to go potty. Bring her food and water in the bathroom if that is where she wants to be.

I hope she does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One thing I just thought of is 2 nights ago, as I was putting ointment in her ear, she squirmed to get away from me. I grabbed the 2 legs on the right side of her body to flip her over. I tried to be gentle but now I'm thinking this may have injured her leg? She didn't yelp and acted fine after so I didn't even think of it until now.
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
That is very possible. The ligament in the knee can be injured as I mentioned very easily even from her fighting or turning that knee the wrong way.

I would put her on strict rest for the next 5-7 days . Try to keep her from walking except to potty and try using a warm compress on that knee.

One other thing that could be going on if she is having trouble with her ear is the beginning of vestibular which is similar to vertigo in humans. . I would watch for any loss of balance, head tilt or rapid eye movement. Here is more on this
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer