Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

8 yo lab very fit and active, OA of rt foreleg at the "elbow".

8 yo lab very fit and active, OA of rt foreleg at the "elbow". This is beginning to seriously affect "quality of life" otherwise healthy. Best NSAID Rimadyl vs etodolac? Others?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Chester.
I have all sorts of information below about NSAID's, pain mediations, and supplements.

I personally like Rimadyl a lot. I also combine it a lot with Tramadol for true pain control. Also, definitely, start some joint support supplementation. Your vet will be familiar with all the options below:

A few common medications prescribed by vets (not all options,but many of the most common choices): NSAIDS,
Pain Control

Currently, one of my favorite joint support supplements on the market is Dasuquin or Cosequin. Here is some more information about it. Many veterinarians and clients have observed that after a few months on a quality joint support product, they can often reduce the dose of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications there pets may already be taking. A supplement can take several weeks to observe benefit, so it is important additional anti-inflammatory or pain medications are used in the meantime.
Product Information about Dasuquin / Cosequin
Also, an incredible clinically tested food to help with joint problems is J/D.
J/D Diet
Another supplement to review would be Adequan injections for joint health. These injections are also quite popular and have helped many pets with arthritic disease.
Adequan injections

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

(If you need further assistance, I may be delayed about 1 hour in replying - to grab some lunch -)