Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Hi my almost 12 year old cock-a-poo, last night and again tonight

Hi my almost 12 year old cock-a-poo, last night and again tonight has been restless, jumping like something is startling her (or biting her) she was normal all day, eating, drinking, asking to go outside, asking for treats etc and again tonight is starting the jumping again and is sometimes staring into space. We are so worried about her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions....

When this happens to Zoe, does she seem dazed?

Is there any possibility that she could have gotten into something unusual?

Does she have any other underlying health issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no she doesnt seem dazed but just staring, looking around and if we call her name she looks at us.

no I dont think so as she is with us all the time and I work from home and she is in the house with me.

no not at all she has always been a healthy dog, although she does get ear infections and her one ear is a little red now which we have been putting her drops in

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for the additional information Tracy. I really appreciate it.

Some older dogs get a little anxious at night for reasons we really don't understand. At our clinic we refer to it as 'sundowning', where the animal is fine all day, but then becomes restless and agitated at night. Obviously, your dog is more disorientated in the evenings, which makes me reasonably sure that's what is going on.

Some vets refer to it as geriatric cognitive dysfunction, and you can find more information here:

http://www.cdsindogs.com/CDSInDogs.aspx?drug=CC&country=US&species=OO&sec=000

Something you could consider would be talking to your vet about a light sedative for your pup in the evenings. One that we use is called Clomicalm and really seems to work well to keep this issue under control.

Another option would be something to help with the anxiety that doesn't have to be ingested (eaten), so it wouldn't interfere with the other medications she may be on at some point. I love using the DAP collar:

These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's office..you can also find them online at places like Amazon.com and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions.

I've used the DAP collar in my own dogs and with some of the dogs I've rehabilitated and I really, really like the results. Just keep in mind that the collar only lasts for 30 days, so you'll have to replace it monthly if it works for you.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She has always been a very calm, nice dog and loves to hang out with us. When this happened last night she would jump on top of us (almost like something was biting her) very strange for her. Now tonight when she started this again, my husband went to take her outside and when she was going down the stairs, it was like her back legs gave out and went down on her belly for 4 stairs (but not sure if she just tripped). Do you think this would be more of what you are saying "sundowning" and not neurological?

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
It's absolutely possible that it's something neurologic, like a focal seizure. However, if it were neurologic, we'd expect to see this behavior all the time, not only at night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great thanks for your help and advice and we will check into what you suggested.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of you!!!
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tracy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoe. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN