Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

We are looking for a new shih Tzu. We lost our 13 year old

We are looking for a new shih Tzu. We lost our 13 year old this spring. It's been 13 years since we have looked for a dog, and honestly, we sort of lucked into ours. We knew nothing, didn't mistrust breeders, etc. Now, looking to find a new puppy, I am over-whelmed. We have decided after much consideration, we want a pure breed. I know all the reasons why we shouldn't "buy" a puppy, there are so many other dogs out there needing homes, etc. But after much thought, that is our decision. My question is, why are there so many variables in prices? Looking on puppyfind.com, some are close to $3000, some are $600, etc. If you look in our local paper they can be $325. I understand that some of them have champion bloodlines, but that isn't always the case with the pricing. Can you explain how to navigate through all that? Also, the tiny shih tzus, the "imperial" shih Tzu's...are there health problems with these tiny dogs, that are associated with such a tiny dog that wasn't originally meant to be that tiny?

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you and that this is an informational/advice site only.

Customer:

ok

Sally G. :

If you are looking at pet finder most are adoptions so they should have a lower cost than a breeder

Sally G. :

When you get a pup a good breeder will be able to show you health certifications from the parents.

Customer:

it was puppyfind.com

Customer:

I do think petfinder.com might be different

Sally G. :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX why the confusion, there is pet finder also.

Sally G. :

Never buy online, never buy a pup site unseen, never buy a pup if you can't see the parents

Customer:

yes, like I said we really lucked out with our last one, as we didn't see the parents.

Sally G. :

there are many scams because public is getting wise to pet stores, back yard breeders and puppy mills. This is what you will find on puppy find

Sally G. :

a puppy mill trying to sell you a puppy

Customer:

it is just so sad and sooooo overwhelming .

Sally G. :

you will find that a scheme will charge you just as much as a good breeder will

Customer:

I wish that we could do a rescue dog, but I don't believe we are a fit for it. I just don't think that would be good for us in our situation.

Customer:

do you think that pet stores are bad places to get a pet? that is what we have always heard and have always stayed away from it.

Sally G. :

I understand not wanting a rescue, they come with their own issues and many are or were from puppy mills or pet stores that for one reason or another had health issues or behavior problems so your best bet is to find a local breeder you can travel to, ask for references from other people who have done business with them as well

Sally G. :

Pet store puppies come from pet mills. Do you know what a pet mill is?

Customer:

I think so lol. they have puppies as fast as they can produce them?

Customer:

I feel sooooo badly for the mommy's

Sally G. :

and they are not socialized, they are crammed 10 or more to a cage , google an image and you will see a true mill/. Pet stores get their pups from these places

Customer:

ok, yes. that is what I had invisioned. it makes me so sad. I can not believe what people do to animals.

Sally G. :

now that the public knows where pet store pups come from , brokers have suddenly sprung up and they will tell you they have a pup for you but the pup will not be ready to go until a certain date, this is because it is coming from a mill and they want you to think it is coming from a home

Customer:

what do you think about shih Tzu's (or other breeds) that are bread to be smaller than what they were intended to be? are there health issues, etc?

Sally G. :

Most good breeders have a waiting list for their pups so you would have to put in an order

Sally G. :

it is not a true shih tzu and is poorly bred

Sally G. :

People are trying to push mixed breeds as designer dogs and get big money for them when all they are is a mixed breed

Sally G. :

which you can find in a pound.

Sally G. :

a mixed breed may be healthier than a pure bred

Customer:

yes, I've read that, but then I read what you just wrote.

Customer:

it's sad that pets have come to this and being a vet, i'm sure it's super hard.

Sally G. :

If you are looking for a small breed such as a shih tzu and a shih tzu mix is okay I would ring your local pound and see if they have puppies

Sally G. :

other than that you are going to have to search a breeder directory and one that is close to you. again never buy online , never buy sight unseen always ask for health certificates and a guarantee that if a pup is sick the breeder will take it back

Sally G. :

Dog shows are a good place to find breeders

Customer:

yes. I think you have answered all my questions.

Sally G. :

I can't tell you the number of scams I see daily and the "breeder" is then no where to be found

Customer:

thanks so much. I honestly was starting to think we could find one on puppyfind.com, but i'm going to wait for the right dog, that I can see and play with, etc. before we bring her home. you really helped me out sooo much. thank you

Sally G. :

you are very welcome. Good luck in your search

Customer:

thanks again for your help :)