Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a 7 year old Shih Tzu...a few days ago she jumped down

I have a 7 year old Shih Tzu...a few days ago she jumped down and yelped a bit....since then she walk a little stop, walk a little, stop. When she went to the groomers they told me she was sensitive when grooming her back. She sleeps through the night, she's eating, she gets up and down the stairs....if it wasn't for the stop & go....I wouldn't be concerned
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am so sorry to hear that MIckey is having some trouble .

As a long time owner of Shih-Tzu's I can tell you that this breed is very prone to problems in the back such as herniated discs and this most often happens from something simple like jumping off a bed.Click here for more on this

For this reason we actually recommend that our clients with Shih-Tzu's teach them not to jump off of or up on furniture and that you lift them instead.

I would suggest strict rest for the next 7-10 days, no running, jumping or walks only up and outside to potty and then it would be best if you carry her. You can use warm compresses or a heating pad on low wrapped in a towel across her back.

If she declines in any way meaning she starts refusing to walk, has trouble with her hind legs or is crying out in pain then she needs to be seen by the vet right away.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Hi Lue,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mickey. How is everything going?