Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years

QUESTION ON UTI TEST STRIPS. Our 9 month old poodle as an

QUESTION ON UTI TEST STRIPS. Our 9 month old poodle as an incontinence issue which we are monitoring and continue testing with the vet - there may be other kidney-bladder linkage issues with her one kidney which we will work out with vet specialist after we look into simpler causes first., but for time being we are just trying to tighten things up while waiting for natural tightening with first heat. For that she is taking PROIN. She has had occasional UTIs. In monitoring the incontinence results, it would be useful differentiate between the bladder flow control vs possible UTI. Are any of the OTC test strips useful for this, either vet or human? Of course we will ask the vet too

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

When dogs get bacterial urinary tract infections, usually three things show up in a 10 test urine strip test. Because there is inflammation, there will be White Blood Cells (WBC), Red Blood Cells (RBC or Hemoglobin), and Protein thatr will change the apporpriate pad ato a different color. When that happens, the vet should do a spin down of the urine and look under the microscope to ss if there are bacteria present and/or crystals present inthe urine sediment.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

For urinary incontinence, there is no real test that tells you that. If the urine strip test is normal and the puppy continues to piddle (other than when startled or upset), Proin tablets will make the urethral muscle contract and seal off the outflow of urine from the bladder. This is not very common in younger animals, but it is possible. :

Thanks. We are in the midst of a Proion trial. I am trying to avoid going to vet every time every time when there are a series of mistakes to be sure it is not UTI. Eventually, if it is not UTI and the Proion fails we will go to kidney/bladder specialist to see if ureters or other issues. I surmise from your answer that I can purchase an OTC test that does WBC, RBC/hemoglobin and Protein as intermediate test. Can I use human tests or must these be vet dog tests?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

You can use the human tests, like a multistrip 10SG, but there are some tests on those multistrips that do not correlate to dog urine. They are the specific gravity and the nitrates. They have no meaning in dogs.