Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

10wkshello I adopted a staffy 5 days ago and hes stool was

Customer Question

10wkshello I adopted a staffy 5 days ago and hes stool was normal but abour 2 days ago it has turned to a pudding consistency and now its completely watery kind of squirting out, hes still happy playing around drinking and eating abit.. Ive made rice and chicken mince to help try settle jis stomach but it hasn't really worker, it has now turned yellow. Im planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow but just thought I would get some advice. Also he is 10wks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Congratulations on your new puppy! This must be very exciting.

The thing with new puppies is that this environment and possibly food change causes such stress, especially being taken form their litter mates that this shows as a digestive disturbance and this diarrhea. The color is caused by bile from the digestive tract.

As long as Bolt is acting normal and eating well, this is a very good sign. You have done the correct thing by feeding rice and boiled chicken which is a bland diet and will help his system regulate.

It is good to have your vet check Bolt to be sure that this diarrhea is not caused by parasites or that he has other issues. In most cases, though, Bolt will be fine once the stress is decreased as he adapts to his new and wonderful loving environment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou, you have relieved me of , I rang the previous owner and he said he was feeding him raw chicken and kibbles then when I got him I was feeding him puppy tin food and cooked meats so I thought that might be the reason.
Oh yes, Jemma...this food change will cause this mild disturbance and as Bolt adapts, this will resolve. It is best now to start adding the new food to the rice and chicken over a 2 week period so his digestive tract can easily adapt...Bolt will do great with you, Jemma, caring for him and loving him!

Thank you so much, Jemma for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about poor little Bolt's condition. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a great day, Jemma...Bolt too!

Hi Jemma,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bolt. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta