Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Schnorkie not urinating and having problems after dental

Customer Question

Hi! I've got a few concerns about my 5 year old Schnorkie (Schnauzer/Yorkie mix), Gus (neutered).

He had his 4 front bottom teeth extracted, along with a full dental cleaning, yesterday morning. I picked him up from the vet in the afternoon and he seemed pretty ok, especially this being the 1st time he's been under anesthesia. He peed like a champ as soon as I got him home, and he ate/drank very well.

However, last night and this morning, he's been groaning/moaning a lot and hasn't relieved himself (poo on Sunday and pee on Monday - it's currently Tuesday afternoon). I called the vet office and was told this is normal, but if he doesn't relieve himself today, to bring him in tomorrow, Wednesday, morning. He seems otherwise aware of his surroundings.

I've only recently got him back from my Mom (who cared for him for about a year after I moved. Gus saw me every month tho.) Unfortunately, my Mom was very generous with "people food" and she ended up having to take him to the ER vet because he got sick from such high fat content in his food. That vet said he's at high risk for pancreatitis. Mom corrected herself, and he's seemingly been ok since.

Now he's been with me full time for about a month now, (seemingly thrilled to have me all to himself again). His diet with me is Trader Joes dog kibble that I add plain boiled chicken too (because he won't eat plain kibble now and will starve himself)

Last Friday I took him into the vet office, because he went from peeing 3-4x a day, to once a day. They gave him 3 cc's (?) of SubQ fluids and an antibiotic shot. He got another antibiotic shot Saturday morning when I brought him in for follow up. All that seemed to have helped him with urinating... Vet thinks he had a "mild bladder infection". The next day, Gus only peed twice.

After the dental on Monday, I was told he got a 7-day booster of antibiotics and that he should be fine to return to normal activity next day.

Well, all these things have me worried, especially between his not relieving himself, and the groaning/moaning going on. Are there tests I should ask for? What can I do? I don't know if these things are related, or...?

I'm really worried and just want Gus to be healthy and happy again. Of course, I don't have much money and at this point, further vet dealings will have to go on the credit card. I just wanna try to be as informed/educated as possible.

Thank you!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Gus today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist me if you don't mind.

So the last time Gus urinated was shortly after returning home on Monday. Is that correct?

Was he fasted (no food) before the dental procedure?

Was a urine sample analyzed? Was a culture done to verify if bacteria were present or was the antibiotic given just in case? Did they say anything about how concentrated the urine was? Was there blood present? Were there crystals present?

Is he eating for you today?

Is he straining or acting like he is trying to pass stool or urine?

Was any bloodwork run before he was anesthetized?

Do you know if he was on IV fluids during that procedure?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I want to insure I have a clear picture of what has gone on so far.

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for taking this matter and for asking me questions!!Yes, the last time Gus has urinated was Monday afternoon (4-ish)He was fasted - he had dinner at 7pm Sunday and the procedure was around 10am Monday. A urine sample was analyzed on Saturday with a "dip stick" (?) Was told everything was in range. No culture was done, just an antibiotic shot. I don't know the dosage or what kind. No comments on the look of the urine. To me, didnt seem like there's been any blood in it. No one has said anything about crystals. He ate dinner last night and breakfast today just fine!He gets kinda excited and waggy when I ask if he wants to go out and "potty-potty", but he gets outside and just lays down. I have no idea if bloodwork was done or if he was on IV fluids. I do know he was under general anesthesia. I can ask them these Q's when I call them later.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.

I ma very concerned about a few of the things that you have described here, the most important one being the state of discomfort he seems to be in and the lack of stool or urine. Let me state a few of the concerns.

1) I do not think this sounds typical of a flare up of pancreatitis. Anesthesia and stress can precipitate a flare up, and while he is a breed at risk and it does lead to abdominal discomfort, most of the dogs with this issue are not eating and are depressed.

2) The lack of stool is not a huge surprise, especially if he was fasted before the procedure. General anesthesia can lead to decreased gut activity, but if he is now eating again, things should be starting to move through and I would not expect discomfort.

3) I guess I am most worried about his urinary tract, especially since there was symptoms previous. If a urine dipstick was the only thing tested, it is not very accurate at analyzing for infection. Frequent urination can be due to infection but can also be due to things like bladder stones or even bladder tumors. A urine dipstick is not very accurate for analyzing the urine except to look for things like sugar or blood (but there can be false positives). If they said all was within normal, I am not clear why antibiotics were given when there were no signs of infection. If we want to know if bacteria are involved or not and if antibiotics are indicated, a urine culture is needed. You mentioned this was his first surgery so I am assuming he is not neutered. If this is the case, we have to be concerned with prostate disease as well as it is more prevalent in intact dogs. If the lack of urine and/or stool continues, he needs to have a rectal exam performed to evaluate the prostate as well as xrays/or ultrasound to look for bladder stones and evaluate the prostate. It is very possible that his previous frequent urination could be due to a stone which has now moved into the urethra and is causing an obstruction or is somewhere along the urinary tract.

Finally, I would want to know if his kidney blood values were checked before the anesthetic procedure. There are cases were kidney failure can occur following a general anesthesia (far less likely if IV fluids were given and blood pressure was monitored). In those cases the pet can reach a state where they are no longer producing urine. I do not believe this is likely happening as most of the pets in this state would not be eating.

I would not allow this to go on for too long without further workup. If there is a possible obstruction, it needs to be relieved sooner versus later or it can lead to worse problems for him.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is neutered, sorry. It's just I had adopted him already neutered, so I didn't have that experience with him. I'm thinking I might take him to another vet. Thank you so much! You gave me some things to think about and now I have a better idea of what to ask. Thanks!!!
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I am glad he is neutered as that greatly decreases the likelihood of prostate disease.

If you feel he is not getting better, I think another opinion would be a great idea, especially if he continues to appear in discomfort and is not urinating.

Good luck and please keep me posted as to how things progress for him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so I called the original clinic, and they didn't answer me if he got IV fluids during the procedure, and confirmed that they did not do blood work prior. (Also, he had extractions - that's a little worrisome to me, to not have blood work done for that!) My plan as of this evening, is if he urinates tonight, I'll catch some and bring it in with me to the clinic first thing in the morning (for a follow up with Gus). I now feel better equipped and will ask for blood work and a urinalysis... If I am not satisfied with how we're being treated there, I will take him to another vet immediately after. I spoke with 2 other clinics, and feel this is my best course of action right now. I will update you tomorrow when/if I get any answers. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
It is a little worrisome to me that before a general anesthesia, pre-anesthetic bloodwork was not done first. Yes, if he urinates, catch a sample if you can and have it analyzed. Keep in mind that if they need to do a culture they will have to collect a sample right from the bladder. If he does not urinate tonight, definitely have him seen ASAP tomorrow for an exam and an xray of the urinary tract (abdomen).

Please do update me as you have more information. Good luck! Don't feel bad about asking questions and making sure you understand. I love clients that want to know more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He peed! Hurrah! "Only" 31 hours later :( Right as I was on the phone with an ER vet clinic. I'm still taking him to the vet tomorrow 1st thing in the morning and asking them for tests/advice. If I'm not satisfied, then I will simply make an appt for in the next couple days at another clinic. Thank you so much for helping educate me and making me feel like my worries were indeed founded!
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is a big relief. Thanks for letting me know. Yes, I think a follow up exam is in order.

Please let me know if further questions arise.
Dr. Z., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

*big sigh of relief*

Soooooo, we went into a different Vet Clinic altogether, and I gotta tell you, in the very first minute of walking in that place, I just had a peace and a calm – and I have to say everyone was very involved and concerned and treated me with the utmost respect and courtesy. You can just tell, they CARE!

I had a paper of everything with dates and stuff, as well as with my questions and concerns, and The Vet took his time with me, answered every question and gave Gus a VERY thorough exam. Really put me at ease.

So! The news we got from this visit… Upon physical examination, with a lotta feeling and massaging and stuff (Gus liked that), he says everything’s good there.

About the urination thing… He said it could be that Gus just doesn’t wanna go when I want him to go, based on color of his urine and how I described everything. But he is concerned to rule out kidney stones, liver and adrenal issues. Gus’s heart and breathing sounded “great” (and you know what?! Gus really LIKED this Vet!! No shaking.)

He looked over Gus’s old medical records, talked to me in depth...

As for the tests that were done, they did a urinalysis with a “dip stick”, a cystocentesis for urine for cultures, drew blood for testing for Valley Fever, Tick Fever (one thing he said he’s a little concerned about because it’s pretty common in Phoenix), a CBC, some other panels for kidney, liver, pancreas functions… They also did an abdominal ultrasound that showed a healthy looking bladder and kidneys.

The Vet told me that the dip stick results were a little concerning because his Specific Gravity was low, which is not normal for a dog that doesn’t drink water throughout the day, and lives in AZ. I can’t explain it too well, but I take it you would understand.

The Vet didn’t seem to concerned with Gus’s groaning/breathy whimpers, I guess because he didn’t exhibit any pain with the “hands on” exam. But he did say we’ll all try to figure that out. That it could be him getting older and talking a lot, especially being the only pet now.

Also, the reason Gus’s pupils are different sizes, because he’s “wall eyed”, the opposite of being cross-eyed…

His mouth looked good post dental and the gum where the extractions were is healing nicely. The Vet did confirm that Gus did NOT get IV fluids during the dental that happened at the other clinic, otherwise he’d have a shaved patch on his forearm/leg.

He did say that that’s pretty likely contributed to, and possibly aggravated whatever situation Gus is in.

What else… Oh yeah, the food I’m feeding him, along with the chicken and “gravy” thing I’m doing “is real good”. He did say I should try to wean him down to just kibble ideally, but once these little guys get to know the “wonders of people food”, it can be near impossible to get them to just kibbles.

Well, I hope the tests come back good and we get answers too. I’m so exhausted. I was told that my concerns were/are absolutely founded. It's one time I'm happy I trusted my gut...

Oh! And his potty habits are improving as of last night!

Thank you for helping me in this, to help better understand everything.

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
This is a great report. I am so happy that you have found someone that you trust and seems to have a good effect on Gus. That is half of the battle. It sounds like you are on the right track now.

Please feel free to keep me updated. I learn by hearing what other vets are doing. We don't see valley fever or tick fever in this part of the country.

I hope things continue to improve.

Have a good weekend

Dr Z