Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Can dogs take Deplin? My dog has Lyme, hypo-thyroidism, and

Can dogs take Deplin? My dog has Lyme, hypo-thyroidism, and cognitive dysfunction. I have Lyme as well, and my cognitive dysfunction has been improved by Deplin.
HI there, and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. Deplin is not labeled for that specific use in dogs, but it can be given to dogs for folate deficiency at a dose of 2-5mg per dog once daily. I don't see a reason why you couldn't try it at that dose and see if it helps with cognitive function. Hope this helps! Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also, she has anxiety attacks, and the other day, she had an anxiety attack, followed by extreme lethargy (almost unresponsive) alternating with the anxiety. She was disoriented, and had trouble climbing stairs. The vet suggested possible seizures, or an extreme anxiety attack. I don't want to give her Phenobarb. Could other supplements or meds. work with these symptoms?

She has also displayed aggression towards my other dog, off and on, since Lyme dx. Most of this resolved, until recently, when she attacked Lilah again (a few days after anxiety attack).

After Lyme dx., Sophie was on a short-term course of Doxy.

According to blood tests, thyroid is still low, so vet increased thyroid dose. As I said, I'm hoping for supplementation in addition to thyroid meds.

In addition to Deplin, I also take Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Huperzine, and they have helped as well. Can dogs take the latter two?

I'm very concerned about all this. I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude toward Sophie (I won't explain).

M

Huperzine has receptor blocking activity, anticholinesterase activity, and anticonvulsant properties, and is not just an herbal supplement, so it is not something I can recommend without seeing your dog as a patient. I recommend discussing that with your vet. Acetyl-L-Carnitine has not been shown experimentally to improve cognition or memory in dogs like it does in humans.

What you are describing with the anxiety attacks does sound to me like seizure-type activity. I would discuss possible Huperzine with your vet. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I received your answer, thank you. I'm soo sorry, but I can't afford more than one tip. I didn't realize I had paid $23 twice!

I did some careful research on Huperzine, and read an academic paper. Based on the research, I gave my dog 1 50-mcg pill. I'm sure my vet. doesn't know anything about Huperzine.

If you wish, I can let you know how she does. I also gave her 1/3 of a human dose of a Deplin pill.

Thanks, M