Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog who is 6yrs old Labrador is suffering from heart expansion.

My dog who is 6yrs old Labrador is suffering from heart expansion. Now a days he is suffering from acute pain in abdomen or chest therefore he can't rest down or sleep., Pls help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 6 year old boy Porus. How long has your boy had this heart issue for please? Have you been to a Veterinary cardiologist for this? Has your boy ever had a heart scan and ECG? Have you noticed Porus' abdomen get larger over the last few months?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I took him to the best hospital got all his medical tests done. His ECG, As per results of medicals he was diagnosed with heart expansion,left atrium is enlarged. Yes his abdomen is large. been giving medications to him for that. He was doing fine since last 2 months but last week seems he is back to the same problem. Now he can't rest and sit.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Shivraj,

It certainly sounds like Porus has very bad heart failure that currently isn't being managed by his medications. I would definitely recommend that you head back to the specialist hospital you first went to, to follow up on this again. There are a few things that may need to be done in your boy's case. When fluid in the abdomen (ascites) builds up to such a point where it starts putting pressure on the diaphragm and affecting the breathing as well as the mobility, then abdominocentesis (removing the fluid) is definitely indicated. This is a subject to approach very carefully, as removing all of the fluid can quickly lead to electrolyte imbalances, and the pressure gradient will mean the space is quickly refilled again. Easing the pressure on the diaphragm and abdomen by removing SOME of the fluid is important in your boy's case however.

Even with the meds he is currently on, the fluid in his abdomen is going to continue to fill up given the degree of heart failure he has. Porus is on a good mix of cardiac medications, however the specialists at the hospital you first took him to, may be able to tweak these medications to better manage your boy's symptoms. This may mean increasing the diurectics (lasix and lasilactone) potentially. Your Vet may also be able to put your boy on a positive inotrope like Pimobendan (Vetmedin) to help the heart beat stronger (increase contraction strength) - making it more effective at pumping blood around the body. The combination of slightly adjusted diuretics, alongside some abdominocentesis and pimobendan may significantly improve your boy's current state of health. Following up with the specialists you first dealt with is important for this reason.

It is also important a full physical exam is carried out again as well as the ECG and echo if possible to see if anything else has developed here. It could even be that your boy has arthritis which is confusing his symptoms - as this could be part of the cause for his weakness.

Best of luck with Porus and please let me know how you get on. Definitely follow up on the above with your vet again today if you can. Don't forget to click a smiley :-D face if this has been helpful.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much. I will definately take him to his vet. And will let you know once get back.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
No problem Shivraj. Keep in touch.

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shivraj,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc