Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My 3 month old blue tick male vomited once last night that

My 3 month old blue tick male vomited once last night that we know of (his food and then ate it again) tonight he went out in the yard and had diarrhea. No blood or mucous in it. He has no appetite and is just laying around. All four of my pups had their vaccinations 3 weeks ago. First round. They were also wormed (wormer from vet). I wormed them again tonight after reading up about the vomiting and diarrhea. I also force fed him some powerade, (since that's all I have access to.) he has kept it down. He is chilling as well. We have 3 other pups that are his litter mates. They have no s/s of any of the things he does. It has also been very hot here. 95+. Any idea of what may be causing this? He is my sons dog and my son has been throwing up as well. We have no emergency care places here. I am in serious need of some thing to try for him. He is so loved.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Ranger.
Well, a few points.
1. I can't comment on your son's illness for liability reasons. I don't believe they have the same illness. Unless, if they both ate the same thing that has made them ill.

2. Vomiting and diarrhea causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

3. Deworming good! But, has he had a fecal test done!
Fecal testing is important not for worms but for microscopic bugs like giardia or coccidia. That is very important. Giardia can effect people as well (zoonotic).

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

Very sorry to hear Ranger is sick.
Definitely, get to a vet as soon as possible, and even if a fecal test has been done, I would repeat it again using the above guidelines.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could it be parvovirus? That is a big concern. I have never had a dog have it and we have 7 adult hounds. His gums are pale pink, but the color comes back quickly. He is usually very active, but won't eat or drink. We used a syringe to give him the powerade. His nose was a little dry, but is moist again. We gave him about 60-70 cc's of it. Give or take what was spilled, but he hasn't thrown it up.
Hi Heather,
Yes, even if he has been vaccinated once or twice for parvo, that is still a possible consideration. Really good supportive medications and nutrition is important to survive parvoviral infection, so make sure to get your vet involved sooner than later, whether this is parvo, giardia infection, or something else.

Always more difficult to treat if they are growing weak, losing weight an dehydrated before you go to the vet.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was just trying to do as much as possible tonight until I can get him to the vet in the am. I have pepto and will try it. He is very weak. Also, my father in law sprayed all around our yard with cattle spray to help keep ticks and other insects at bay. The smell of it made me really sick, could that be a possibility? And, do I need to keep pushing the powerade?
1. Cannot rule-out that the spray isn't making things worse, although he would really have need to come into direct contact with it or licking it to get this ill (as a guess)

2. I would not push any more powerade

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for all your help. He just got up and went and urinated. And, is growling at something. He seems to have a little more pep. He got my son through his surgery and means the world to him. I am a nurse, but am unsure on animals. I just know it would devastate my son if I didn't do anything. I will definitely keep your info for future questions since I do have hunting dogs. Thank you again. I will still take him to vet in am. God bless.
You are very welcome Heather.
Wish I could do more, but as you know as a nurse, I am restricted by a lack of having a patient client doctor relationship without an exam.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understand completely, just what you have told me is a great help. Should I give him powerade tonight? Or have I done enough? I was glad to see him urinating and no vomiting or diarrhea.
I wouldn't do anything else until consulting your vet at this point.