Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

A week ago our mini poodle was diagnosed as diabetic. Since

A week ago our mini poodle was diagnosed as diabetic. Since then he's been getting insulin shots at 12hr intervals. And a high fiber diabetc diet. However, there doesn't seem to be much of a change. His blood sugar is still elevated and the dipstick test still indicates a high ketone level. Are we expecting results too soon? He's 7 years old and weighs 18 lbs.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Andy's situation. How many units of insulin is he getting with each injection? What type of insulin is it? Is he still eating and drinking at this time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

three units at 12 hr intervals....Novolin. He is eating about a can of Hills diabetic formula a day. And drinking large amounts of water.

Thanks for that information. How much does he weigh? Has your vet made any changes in the amount being given since he started? Is he eating well and acting pretty bright and alert?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Bruce. Thanks for getting back so quickly.

He weighed between 18 and 19 lbs about a week ago. No changes in amount given. Our next appointment is on the 3rd of Sept. He is eating ok. Seems sort of hesitant at times but could be due to the blandness of the food. His behavior is somewhat sluggish but he still perks up for a ride in the car or for a walk around the yard. Otherwise he just sleeps.

Sorry I missed you wrote that Andy weighs 18 pounds in your initial information. I some how missed that very last line! When managing a diabetic, it can sometimes take a couple weeks to get them regulated. Some can be regulated in a shorter period of time but others take longer. There are many factors that may play a role in those that take longer to regulate - could they have some insulin resistance, underlying hormonal issues affecting insulin effectiveness like Cushing's disease, or other medications affecting the insulin. I don't get overly concerned in the first couple days if the ketones are still present in the urine as long as the patient is eating well, drinking well, and pretty bright and alert. At this time out from the initial diagnosis and treatment being started up, I'd hope that they would be resolving. When I manage a newly diagnosed diabetic, I usually start with a dose that will most likely not be the ending dose (one that is lower than anticipated in the end). The reason for this is it is important to get owners used to giving injections and mixing the insulin. As they get good at this, then the pet is monitored for how they are doing with drinking and urination. I would increase the dose by a half unit at a time every 3 to 7 days if the pet was still drinking and urinating a lot. As the dose was slowly worked up (I didn't want to have it too high to fast as then the risk is there for a hypoglycemic event), the end dose was highlighted by the drinking and urination getting back to normal. I would contact your vet to let them know what you're seeing so far with Andy and to see what they want to do as the next step. They might have you increase the dose prior to that next visit.

Here is a great link on diabetes with lots of hyperlinks that I want you to have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. You've been very helpful!!

Thank you for the very kind accept! I hope that Andy is back to his normal self here with some time. I again find that taking things slowly and carefully usually have the best results. No huge jumps in dosing is key. If you have any future questions come up, feel free to come back and ask them!