Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

weight loss, zero energy

my dog (eight year old doberman) has all the sudden lost weight, does not have energy to walk, today started to vomit, the food that was vomited showed that his food was not digested at all, and when I hold his abdomen he wines, and can not put her left food on the ground. Also lost appetite.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Kalu is having some trouble.I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How long has this been going on?

When did he last pass stool and was it normal?

Does he eat things he should not?

Is his stomach harder or larger then normal?

What color are his gums?

Has he been seen by a vet since this started?

What leg is he having trouble with?

Any previous problems walking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How long has this been going on? From last week, but both Vet and I thought his weakness was because he was mating.

When did he last pass stool and was it normal? Today, and it was almost loose motion.

Does he eat things he should not? Past week he has been mostly in home. I gave him a little yogurt, and milk and egg every morning, and meat for dinner.

Is his stomach harder or larger then normal? No, his ribs can be seen.

What color are his gums? Pink

Has he been seen by a vet since this started? Last week, he told me give him multi vitamin and glucose. He gave him two shots.

What leg is he having trouble with? left leg

Any previous problems walking? No, today I took him for his walk, he barely made it. But tonight he can not walk at all.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Is it a front or rear leg?

Did your vet do any blood work? If so were there any abnormalities?

What type of meat were you giving and how was it prepared?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is his rear leg
No blood work.
Beef, Raw.

By the way, he is very weak. Today in his walk, another dog touched him and he fall down.
Last Tuesday, I gave him de-worm pills.
There is no meet on his body, only bones.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

In a senior dog with these symptoms it is very very important that we get blood work to look at organ function mainly the liver, kidneys, and pancreas.

Pancreatitis is a real possibility and would explain all of the symptoms you are seeing including the painful abdomen.Left untreated this will effect every organ and can be fatal Click here

Considering the severe weight loss it is also important to get x rays to look for any abnormal growths in the abdomen signaling cancer or changes in the organs.I would also want to get a look at the spleen as large breed dogs are prone to tumors on the spleen.

Things like tick borne illnesses can cause this type of weakness and problems with the joints.

It is possible that the leg is unrelated to the other symptoms and is due to a problem in the cruciate ligament of the knee due to the stress of breeding.

At this point there has been no tests done and to be honest it is somewhat disturbing that this was chalked up to breeding weakness at this age. Without at least blood work it would be impossible to say what is going on.

I would suggest getting back in to the vet or getting a second opinion and getting blood work and possible x rays done.

I know you were hoping for a more accurate answer but I really think further immediate vet care is needed.

Please let me know how he is doing. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything I can do for him until I see the vet?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Without knowing what is going on there is not much we can do. Because he vomited I would withhold all food until he is seen. You can give Pepcid AC to settle the stomach at a dose of 0.25mg per pound of body weight , but other then that I would just keep him quiet and comfortable until you can get back in to the vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also he has started to drool- should I inject water in his mouth, as today he stopped drinking water.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Drooling is often due to nausea. I would not force the water or he may have additional vomiting. Normally we recommand noting by mouth for 12 hours. Hopefully you can get him in today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Candy, today I am going to see the Vet, should tell him I want blood check and Xray. And if he asked me why, I tell him what you told me. Right?
I hope Kalu does not die on me, until the vet comes :(

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely tell him you want blood work and x rays. I do not think he will ask why and in all honesty if he did I would want a new vet. However if he does just tell him you want to know what his organ function and blood glucose levels are and make sure his liver and digestive system look normal on x rays. Please let me know what they say I will be taking a break for dinner but will be on until late tonight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your concern, I am in India, and the vet will be coming at 11 in our morning.. But how would I tell you?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You can come right back to this thread and let me know. If you want you can wait to provide a rating so that it will be easier.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean, Candy" Wait to provide a rating so that it will be easier", will this thread goes, if I rate now?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
No the thread never closes for you even after providing a rating but I know that customers are worried about that so I just wanted you to know that you could wait if you wanted to
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Candy, because of your advice tomorrow I can speak at a professional level with the vet. Will let you know as soon as I get the result.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I am here if you need me before the vet comes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Candy, Kalu died.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Oh no... I am so sorry that is heart breaking news. I wish I could have done more to help him. I know you must be devastated and nothing I can say will ease the pain.