Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Hello, my Great Dane went out at 4.00am and at 5.00am he woke

Hello, my Great Dane went out at 4.00am and at 5.00am he woke me again and I noticed a large lump, fits the palm of my hand, on the side of his neck just below his ear. I thought he had been bitten. It has since moved more under his neck, no larger but two smaller lumps have developed this morning in his face jowels, stopping him eating which he has been doing fine till dinner today. I cannot be 100% that the lump wasnt there before he went out at 4.00am.Hope you can help. A. Dugan.
Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

IF it is a lump you can move and it came on suddenly it could be one of two things.

you may be looking at infection which would need attention with some draining and antibiotics.

Dogs have salivary glands that can become swollen in the neck region from trauma usually if they hit their neck.

I would first think infection since he is not eating and you want to get that taken care of right away. Infection can brew from a bite, or from tooth or gum disease. Sometimes dogs break teeth below the gum line that the owner can't see. Check the teeth for discoloration , yellowing brown, green etc which is a good indication of gum disease.

But irregardless the lymph noids are also located on the neck so a vet exam is in order

swollen lymph noids

Salivary glands

tooth infection/fum disease

If you need more help with this hit reply, if not once you have rated my answer I would like to schedule a free follow up with you to see how things are going. If you feel you need help with a new problem please contact me via this link and ask your question. Referrals to friends and family are welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sally, thanks for the quick response. I think we have a slight mis-understanding in that Digby has been eating but wouldnt look at his dinner today but in the last ten minutes he has eaten it. The lump is hard but doesnt appear to bother him even if I squeeze it.It does move but the two lumps on his jowels were hard but have now softened a little which I think made him feel like eating. The trauma thing is interesting as he is blind so may have walked into something. Anyway we will visit the Vet's tomorrow and see what they diagnose. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Wishing Digby the best and hopefully it is just due to trauma as it will get well much easier:) I am going to set up a free follow up for Wednesday or Thursday to see how he is doing but it will be up to you if you wish to answer or not, no pressure:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sally, shortly after our last conversation the lump burst and watery blood oozed from what looked like dog teeth marks under the lump which had'nt been visible before. As we are well fenced to keep our four dogs in I can only assume that a fox or cat or similar creature had bitten him but I dont know for sure.Our nearest neighbours are 400 yards away so I dont think it was a cat. Anyway the lump has nearly gone now, he is eating everything put before him but is still feeling a bit sorry for himself,although first in line to go round the field. Thankyou very much for your help,you are now bookmarked for future assistance. Regards, Andrew Dugan.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sally, did'nt you get the message I sent this morning?

Thank you yes I did, the follow up was sent out automatically. I am glad you baby is doing better:)

This is sent as an info request so you are not prompted to rate