Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

Hi, My dog had some pink spots in her ear a few days ago.

Customer Question

My dog had some pink spots in her ear a few days ago. The vet looked in her ear and did not see anything wrong with it. Now, it's starting to have some dried blood in it. I read online that seeing dried blood like that means that she might have ear mites or something. Could the dried blood be indicative of something else? She is a golden retriever and we usually wash her ears out with an dog ear wash to dry them out if she goes swimming.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.

Pet Doc :

Hi there

Pet Doc :

Thanks for your question regarding your young Golden Retriever girl who has had red ears for the last few days

Pet Doc :

the material you are seeing in her ears tonight could be dried blood as a result of her scratching and causing a bleed at some point today

Pet Doc :

OR this could be an ear mite discharge

Pet Doc :

Typically - dried blood will turn red on a piece of paper town when you wet it whereas ear mite discharge won't

Pet Doc :

The ear mite discharge is more of a coffee grounds appearance and more sticky than you would expect dried blood to be

Pet Doc :

If this was indeed dried blood, it probably means your girl has been getting her back paw up and into the ear to try and relieve an itch. In doing so she could easily have scratched the inside of the ear until the point where it has bled

Pet Doc :

If you can see any small scratches or wounds in there, you could use a very small amount of neosporin on the area twice daily

Pet Doc :

If she has been scratching a lot - then it would be a good idea to get her a collar cone to help prevent 'self-trauma' (and further bleeding)

Pet Doc :

If this was indeed an ear mite discharge then you will need to get an appropriate treatment for your girl

Pet Doc :

Advocate is ideal for this reason and your Vet should have this at his or her clinic

Customer:

Ok. I'll check on that; I have a solution that dries out her ears - Propylene Glycol with Aloe Vera Gel - it's an ear cleansing solution that is ph balanced. If it is a cut or an irritation, would that be to harsh to use in her ear? I am wondering if it needs any sort of rinse?

Pet Doc :

If you can see a cut or wound on the underside of her pinna (ear flap) then the cleaning solution might sting too much

Customer:

Yes, I'll probably go to the vet either way since I am always wanting to be on the safe side.

Pet Doc :

If you see a cut there, just clean it gently with a piece of cotton wool soaked in salty water

Pet Doc :

Yes - it is always better to be safe

Pet Doc :

If you have an e collar (collar cone) for your girl, then put this on now if you can

Customer:

Gotcha. I'll see if there is any scratches in there. Thank you.

Pet Doc :

No problem

Pet Doc :

Let me know how you get on tomorrow if you get a chance

Customer:

Ok. She keeps shaking her head alot like it is irritating but doesn't scratch it really at all.

Pet Doc :

Ok good.

Pet Doc :

Try and get that Advocate tomorrow if you can

Pet Doc :

Best of luck with your girl and keep in touch

Customer:

Ok. Thanks for your help.

Pet Doc :

Don't forget to click a smiley :-D face if this has been helpful

Pet Doc :

No problem

Pet Doc :

Kind Regards,

Pet Doc :

Dr Edwards

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi Josalyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank Pet Doc! Actually her ear is much better. I got this over the counter antiseptic powder and it healed it right up! Thanks for checking in.

Josalyn

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi Josalyn,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear things have improved!

Kind Regards,

Dr E