Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My 12year old chowowha has stopped playing n sleeps all the

My 12year old chowowha has stopped playing n sleeps all the time just today her gums have gone pale n she seems to b cold n shivers a lot

Pet Doc :

Hi there

Pet Doc :

Thanks for your question regarding your 11 year old Chihuahua Babe who has become quite lethargic and quiet today

Pet Doc :

As you can imagine, there are a number of things that could be going on here with little Babe, including anything from a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything around your yard or home she could get in to), to early gastroenteritis, or due to pain

Pet Doc :

My main concern right now would be her gum color

Pet Doc :

She could be pale simply due to shock/pain, however she could have something else going on here such as a clotting issue or toxicity (rat bait in particular - so hopefully you don't have any of that around the home or yard)

Pet Doc :

Right now, please check her mucus membranes, refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Pet Doc :

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get your girl to your local Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting today this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the Vet.

Pet Doc :

If the refill time is very slow AND the gums are very pale, you are best off playing it safe here and getting her seen now if you can

Pet Doc :

Hopefully her membrane color, refill time and respiratory rate are all ok

Pet Doc :

If so - you can just monitor your girl for the evening

Pet Doc :

If she is pale and lethargic, then you are best off getting her seen today if you can

Pet Doc :

For now - make sure you keep her nice and warm and keep an eye on her

Pet Doc :

Please let me know if you have any further questions

Pet Doc :

I will be online for the next half hour or so

Pet Doc :

I will switch to Q & A mode now for this reason

Pet Doc :

Please be sure to click a smiley :-D face if this has been helpful.

Pet Doc :

Kind Regards,

Pet Doc :

Dr Edwards

Hi there Joyce,

I am not sure if the chat feature was working properly! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards
Hi Joyce,

I am sorry you didn't find this helpful. I think the chat feature not working didn't help this as I usually like getting more information from a customer! Thankfully, I am here to help until you are satisfied.

Please get back to me regarding the above to let me know how Babe is right now as well as how else I can help. It could even be that you could give Babe a little Pepcid in case she has an unsettled stomach.

Talk soon,

Dr Edwards