Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Hi we have a three year old chihuahua x foxie. Got the shocking

Customer Question

Hi we have a three year old chihuahua x foxie. Got the shocking news he has end stage glaucoma and advised to remove his eyes. Would you remove your grandmas eyes with Glaucoma? unlikely. So we have been back to our regular vet and he said to use some drops. First lot seem to give lots of discomfort and second lot aren't too bad. His eyes are now smaller and he is more his regular self. We thought he was just allergic to our new cat. Went to reg vet in May and August and opthalmologist in August and still getting over the news. Will the drops help him or are we simply avoiding the inevitable?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am so sorry to hear about Monte.

Rebecca :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

When was the glaucoma first diagnosed, in May?

Customer:

Hi Rebecca

Rebecca :

Can he see at all?

Customer:

No 9 days ago

Rebecca :

Oh! Sorry.

Customer:

I believe he can see something as he can still jump up and off the bed and although not perfect vision can still see some things

Rebecca :

Can he see at all?

Rebecca :

Glaucoma is a condition that usually causes blindness, and also is very painful.

Customer:

We thought he was just a bit put out by the new cat and maybe an allergy. We were first given Cortizone drops in May and they seemed to help a bit.

Customer:

My biggest concern is removing his eyes - can it be treated with drops effectively?

Rebecca :

It can be, if treated aggressively and with several medications, be treated with a combination of eye drops, and oral medication to reduce pressure in the eyes.

Customer:

Ok we were told the drops do that, reduce the pressure. They are actually human medications.

Rebecca :

The reason for removing the eyes, is if the dog is blind already ( blindness from glaucoma is not reversible) and if the eye are painful.

Rebecca :

So, can he see? If so, I would not be ready to remove the eyes.

Rebecca :

But if the eyes are blind and hurting him, they are not doing him any good, and are causing him pain.

Customer:

Yes that is what we felt, we believe he can see something so removing them it would be premature

Rebecca :

You can always have them removed if he goes blind.

Customer:

As it is difficult to know if he is in pain, should we keep up the tramadol? or will he get used to it and the effectiveness wear off?

Rebecca :

So I would work closely with your ophthalmologist, and have him regularly checked.

Rebecca :

Yes, I would keep up the tramadol. You are correct, it is hard to judge pain in dog because they are good at hiding it. But glaucoma is a very painful diseae.

Customer:

The opthalmologist is the only one in a 400km radius and VERY expensive. He just wanted to "whip out the eyes and can fit me in on Friday".

Rebecca :

I am sorry you do not have another option nearby.

Rebecca :

So you may have to work with your regular vet.

Customer:

Rather than do this we thought use multiple meds but combine them in a "healthy" way

Rebecca :

I would still get frequent checkup to assess the eye pressure, and his vision.

Customer:

Yes regular vet I think felt bad not sending us to specialist early on in May

Rebecca :

Yes, multiple meds is a good idea.

Rebecca :

FIsh oil for Omega fatty acids can be good for eyes.

Rebecca :

That is taken by mouth, not put on the eyes!

Customer:

So would long term pain killers wear off? Do you think he will go completely blind or stay where he is today?

Customer:

OK Omega fatty acids.....orally! ha ha

Rebecca :

If this is truly glaucoma, he will probably go blind.

Customer:

oh ok so we are voiding the inevitable

Customer:

his eye pressure was 45 where 22 is normal

Rebecca :

The experts tell me that when a dog gets glaucoma in one eye, the therapy is mostly directed at saving the other eye, preventing glaucoma in the other eye. But he has it in both already.

Rebecca :

That is high.

Rebecca :

How recently was the pressure checked?

Customer:

We are in Australia and guess you are in US? is there an vet eye expert you can access

Customer:

Pressure was at Optha visit 8 days ago. I can say the eyes are definitely much smaller now with the drops we are using.

Rebecca :

I am in the US. I am far from a veterinary school, where there are ophthalmologists, but there is a specialty eye practice only an hour away.

Customer:

oh ok, thanks. We have been extremely distressed over the issue and both eyes as he is only 3 and our baby

Rebecca :

If the eyes look smaller normal, that is good. With "end stage" glaucoma, the eyes shrink abnormally small.

Customer:

Hmmmm they gave us the drops and said twice a day, humans only have them once a day according to the chemist

Customer:

I trust our regular vet but they will tell they are not specialists. We have 3 pets with them and found them to be usually quite good. When you go through the emotions you want to blame someone! yourself or your vet....the world.

Rebecca :

What are the drops?

Customer:

Reg vet x 2, Opthamalogist vet x 1. Two lots of eye drops. He also had some cortizone drops before Ophtha visit. Prednerfrim Forte (cortizon), Apo Latanoprost (hurt him we think) and now using Timoptol (not going too bad and eyes are smaller).

Customer:

oh I listed them in my thing......

Rebecca :

Timoptol is one I have used.

Customer:

0.5% 5ml

Customer:

It is extremely odd that we thought initially the cat may have scratched as she was so small. That was the reason for our first visit in May. Now they are insperable - Monte and Phoebe (Devon Rex). Now we are a crossroads - remove the eyes or look for alternatives and try to keep him comfortable.

Rebecca :

Most of the treatment regimens I see use multiple drugs in the eye: dexamethasone on the eye, systemic pain medication like tramadol, a medication for pressure like your Timoptol, at the minimum.

Customer:

Ok so the dexamethasone is cortizone?

Rebecca :

Yes, it is a form of cortisone.

Customer:

I have Prednerfrin Forte here which is Prednisolone acetate -but can that be used long term?

Rebecca :

Is it made to put in eyes?

Customer:

yes

Rebecca :

If so, that would be OK.

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX book again to see our reg vet thisweek

Rebecca :

Are you not near a veterinary school? I know there are several, but is it a big country. That would be a great place for a second opinion.

Customer:

We are on the Gold Coast, Parkwood Queensland. Possibly Brisbane?

Rebecca :

Yes, there is one in Brisbane as far as I know.

Customer:

I look one up. Thank you so much.

Rebecca :

http://www.uq.edu.au/vetschool/smallanimalclinic

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer or help with?

Customer:

No alll good, thank you so much.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating!