Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Back again - What, in your opinion, is the optimum protein

Customer Question

Back again - What, in your opinion, is the optimum protein / fat % for a young puppy? My older dogs are on a raw diet, but since she has been sick I have her on an organic canned food and human grade kibble, not to take any chances with immature digestive system. The kibble is 28% protein and 18% fat. The canned food is 20% protein and 18% fat, I mix it about 1/2 and 1/2.

The breeder recommended puppy food for 3 months, then gradually decreasing the amount of puppy food and adult food.

Some people who feed raw (homemade or kibble) push too much protein in their dogs, in my opinion. What I really want is to optimize the balance between healthy growth and strong, straight bone and joint formation - not to have her grow too fast or any nutritionally-caused abnormalities in her orthopedic structure.

There is so much information out there, and I have researched this alot over the years, but opinions are still all over the map.

Do you have any thoughts on this that you could share? How much protein and when to get off the puppy food level of protein?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
HI again...

I generally recommend at least 22% protein to 18% fat....this helps with growth and a good healthy coat. The food you have is excellent with 28% protein and 18% fat...this is given until a year of age. Some recommend 9 months for growth but I stick with 1 year for my Aussies and I feel that they do better with this because they are not totally mature until after 1 yr...

Does that make sense?
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Melanie for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Phoebe's diet. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day!!

Hi Melanie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Phoebe. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta