Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Hi, I adopted a cocker spaniel from a shelter back in Jan.

Hi, I adopted a cocker spaniel from a shelter back in Jan. I was told he was almost blind that he has Glaucoma. I put two different drops in his eyes daily. One 3x a day and one 2x a day. Is there any kind of surgery that would let him get any of his vision back? and if so what kind of vet would do it and a rough idea of the cost.Please I need your expert opinion.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Max's vision issues. Have you had him to your own vet since you adopted him for them to evaluate him and his eye situation? What drops are you placing in his eyes? Do you feel that he is still visual at this time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, These are the drops I put in his eyes daily: Dorzolamide 3x daily and Latanoprost 2x daily. I did have him at my vet to get blood work done,etc when I first adopted him and my vet thinks he can see shapes a bit and that he is not completely blind. At the time I hadn't ask my vet about surgery for it. I do think he can see shadows. Please get back to me. Thanks

Thanks for that information. The Dorzolamide and the Latanoprost are two very good medications used to control glaucoma. Glaucoma is reduces vision / causes blindness by causing increased pressure in the eye itself. This pressure causes damage to the actual retina of the eye. The higher the pressures get and for longer periods of time, the more damage is done. Unfortunately, this damage done due to this process isn't something that surgery can reverse. The damage done is done. There are no surgeries that can replace the rods and cones (the cells in the retina responsible for vision) to increase vision. The best thing to do with glaucoma is to be very proactive with controlling it. Basically not letting the pressures in the eye get increased again and cause further damage. So, the goal is to stay where Max is at now with his vision. This is as good as it is going to get. If something was to happen like cataract formation, then something surgical could be presented to help improve the vision, but it can't replace / repair the damage done due to the glaucoma flare up.

As far as controlling the glaucoma, there is a surgical procedure to place a shunt in the eye to help drain the fluid from the eye into the nares to keep the pressures down. This is a pretty expensive procedure and is only done by boarded ophthalmologists. Pretty much most cases are managed medically like you're doing at this time.

Please let me know what questions this all brings up. I'm hoping for the best for Max. I know a lot of dogs that have vision loss / decrease who have glaucoma and they are doing great! Thanks for giving this special guy a good home!