Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My little schnauzer is vomiting yellow bile and it smells terrible.

My little schnauzer is vomiting yellow bile and it smells terrible. He ate yesterday and it started last night. He threw up all his dinner. It was still whole. You can see his stomach contracting. He runs around and starts to dig a hole (he never digs) and throw up in it. I gave him Pepcid once.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

With this degree of vomiting, I would want to rule out pancreatitis in a schnauzer. Pancreatitis is an infection of the pancreas gland that is very common in this breed. We often see vomiting, abdominal pain, cramping and decreased appetite. Treatment is with IV fluids, antibiotics, anti-nausea meds and pain medications. They typically stay in the hospital for 2-3 days before they are well enough to go home.

An obstruction is the other thing worth ruling out. X-rays are done to rule that out.

The only thing you can do at home is keep trying Pepcid. I would give him 10 mg every 12 hours. I would also with hold food and water for 8-12 hours to try to prevent further vomiting. Once he goes a good 8-12 hours with no vomiting, then I would feed a bland diet of chicken/ rice or hamburger/ rice. I would feed 4-6 small meals per day for 2-3 days before mixing in his normal food and getting him back to his normal feeding schedule.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?