Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Siberian Husky, day 60 of pregnancy, yesterday ate only 1/4

Siberian Husky, day 60 of pregnancy, yesterday ate only 1/4 of her food, tonight only a couple of mouthfuls, eliminated undigested grass with clear liquid. Is this serious or something to keep an eye on. Vet is an hour away.
Hi Sir or Madam,
.

My name is Jane. I've worked with animals professionally for over 17 years dealing with health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

What you are seeing is not all that uncommon especially if she is not eating much. I would continue to monitor her as it sounds like she is close to delivering. Let me give you information on labor.

.

There are three stages to labor. During the first stage the cervix dilates and contractions begin. Your female will be uncomfortable, restless, pace and pant. This lasts 6-18 hours. During the second part of labor, your female's contractions begin in ernest. Her water breaks and puppies are delivered usually after 10-30 minutes of pushing. All puppies are born during this stage. The third stage of labor is after all pups have been delivered and is when a dog still has small contractions to expell fluids and/or placentas from the uterus. This is standard information. You can read more about this here:

http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm

.

A dog’s gestational period (pregnancy) is approximately 63 days from breeding but they can go early. One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this. Be sure that the thermometer is accurate and that you insert it at least an inch to get an accurate temperature.

.

A dog’s normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees, she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. My dogs always go to 98.2F. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours. You can read about this at:

http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

.

You may also notice her breasts swelling during this last week of pregnancy and some milk leakage. Dogs will usually become restless and increase their digging and nesting behavior during the last week. You will notice an increase in her panting as well as a mucous discharge. You may also notice some abdominal contractions or rippling as her time grows closer. Do not be surprised if your dog is very restless and vomits as few times during this last week.

.

Once your dog's temperature has dropped, please do not leave her alone in case of complications. As she enters actual labor you should be able to see her contractions and most dogs will begin looking at their hindquarters. An increase of licking of the genitals is normal before and during labor. Be sure and have an emergency Vet’s phone number readily available just in case of an emergency during the birthing of the puppies.

Here is an excellent site about whelping.

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

.

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start. This is why I think your dog's behavior is quite normal and may be signaling that labor is not that far away.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . I may have to step away for an hour or so but will address any other concerns you have when I come back.

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.