Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 6 year old, female, Cocker Spaniel has some nasty looking

My 6 year old, female, Cocker Spaniel has some nasty looking brown spots on her belly and very dry, red, flaky skin on her top coat. She's itching and she hasn't been acting right lately (very mopey).

She started out not wanting to eat her food and will usually only do so if I put a treat in her bowl.

My groomer checked her for ticks, fleas and ringworm and she's all good in that department.

What do you think this could be? Pasted below is a picture of her belly.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Because Daisy is 6, there are a couple things that could be going on.

First, because she is a middle aged cocker, you may want to talk to your vet about checking her thyroid function. Often, dogs who have an under-active thyroid can have a change in their skin and fur, usually with it getting dry and flaky, just like in Daisy's case. The thyroid panel isn't something that they run automatically, so it might be a good idea on Monday to call them (or tomorrow, if they're open) and see if they think running a thyroid check is a good idea.

Secondly, cockers are kind of famous for being allergy dogs, and since the spots on her belly seem to have a little distance between them (as opposed to them overlapping like in a rash), I can't help but wonder if she's having a serious reaction to bug bites.

Something you could try until your vet takes a peek at her would be some Benadryl. This can be given at a dose of 1-2mg/pound, so if she weighs 25 pounds, she could have 1 or 2 of the regular 25mg tablets once every 8-10 hours.

If she seems less itchy and the spots start to clear up while she's on the Benadryl, then we're dealing with an allergic reaction.

I hope this helps.
Hi Ryan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?