Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

It is possible for a dog that is over-medicated for Cushings

It is possible for a dog that is over-medicated for Cushings to develop diabetes?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. Diabetes is the lack of insulin in the body for most of the cases seen in veterinary medicine. This is due to progressive loss of beta cells in the pancreas. This shouldn't happen from treating Cushing's disease, even if over medicated for it. The serious situation that can actually arise from over treatment of Cushing's disease is Addison's disease. The medication for Cushing's disease, trilostane, can destroy the adrenal gland and set up a deficiency of steroids in the body. This doesn't cause diabetes. Please let me know what questions this has generated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would it be harmful to abruptly stop the vetoryl?

Sorry for my delay. It shouldn't be harmful to abruptly stop it. In fact if problems are suspect to be happening due to it, it is stopped suddenly. If Jesse is acting dumpy, not eating well, vomiting or seeming weak - she should be evaluated as soon as possible as the possibility of causing the addison's state is a very serious situation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

I'm glad to have been of help! Take care!