Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a 10 year old Peke. For the past week she has had trouble

I have a 10 year old Peke. For the past week she has had trouble keeping her food down. I feed her in the morning before I go to work and again in the evening, while we have our supper. She seems to be able to keep most of the evening meal down, but very little of the morning meal. I try not to over feed her. She doesn't act like she feels bad. She is as lively as a 10 (almost 11) year old dog can be. Her eyes look normal and she doesn't seem to be in any pain. I haven't gotten her into the vet yet. I am hoping to take her in on Monday.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Does she throw up her food, or does it seem to be bile?

Does she gulp her food?

Does she ever seem anxious when you leave her in the morning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She throws up her food. It is in a white liquid, but you can tell what it was she ate.

She does gulp down her food at times, but not every time.

She doesn't seem to be anxious when I leave. It is just part of her normal routine. She gets on her seat near the window and watches as I leave and is there when I get home in the evening.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

Because this has been going on for some time now, my first thought would be that she's got some sort of regurgitation problem that is caused either by something out of whack in her digestive tract, or possibly from a doggy form of acid reflux.

The first thing I would do would be to call your vet on Monday and discuss it with him to see if he thinks there's anything in your pups past medical history that could be causing this to happen. I don't think you need to rush her to the emergency vet or anything because she is stable and is otherwise healthy and happy.

While you wait for the weekend to end to call your vet, try not allowing her to gobble her food (I know you said she only does it sometimes). Of couse, allow her to have access to water all day.

You can also try giving her her food spread out on a baking sheet, instead of in a bowl. If she's vomiting because she's eating too quickly, then spreading the food out will force her to slow down to eat.

Hopefully your vet will decide that this is just a little run-of-the-mill acid reflux that can be taken care of with a little Prilosec, but because she is a geriatric dog, it's best to have your vet take a peek...just to be safe.

I hope this helps.

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cissy. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN