Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog is panting, shivering and clinging close by my side,

My dog is panting, shivering and clinging close by my side, trying to climb into my lap constantly. She seems to settle down when she's been sitting with me quietly for a while. She's an 11 year old mongrel, weighs about 14/15kg's. She has Cushing's disease, which she is on medication for. She's eating and drinking normally. What could be causing the shivering and panting and do I need to take her to the emergency vet?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would want to get her electrolytes checked given these signs. Sometimes we'll treat Cushing's and inadvertently push them into Addison's. This will cause the sodium to drop and the potassium to rise. This can lead to low heart rates, trembling and panting.

If the electrolytes are normal, then it may just be stress induced or potentially due to pain. A good orthopedic and neurologic exam will rule out pain.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.